2018 Viewers Choice Awards -- discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seasons, Apr 8, 2018.

1. seasons

seasons Member

Best Action

What should win:
    Bimyou - A Real Hero
    Upbeat, fun, positive, hopeful vibes that reflect the spirit of My Hero Academia without overdoing the generic "epic" feel that everyone reaches for with their videos for this series. Solid editing (the most subjective and meaningless praise you can give any AMV, sorry), character-focused concept, who knows how this will age (I probably felt this way about a lot of Naruto AMVs back in the day) but I'm enjoying it a lot for now.

VideoBeats - A Shared Path
    Did nobody even nominate this for best instrumental? I know that's a category "no one cares about" but it's one I'm always really interested in and it's just conspicuously missing there.

Shin - Cherry Bomb
    Not sure if this does anything new with Kill La Kill but it's got that fluid quality to it that I really love and I wouldn't mind seeing it take this.

What will win:
    Echo STK - Kampa
    People love videos like this, the concept of people fighting (framed by text like "Round One," "Last Round," etc to keep it from looking too random) is usually all you need to convince the audience that you're actually telling a story. This kind of dark and gritty feel is usually rewarded in contests and is everything that most aspiring editors are looking to replicate.

Luciole - Warm Up
    I should have nominated a sports AMV or two for this category but got hung up on whether or not they were really supposed to go here. That was dumb of me. Anyway, I hate this AMV and feel like it's a shoe-in to win here.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. seasons

seasons Member

Most Original

What should win:

Hilary Cullen - Quintessence
    Just a beautiful AMV with a feel to it that's all its own, somehow more than the sum of its parts, etc. A true Sunday Morning AMV, not a demo reel of effects by any means...and that's okay.

leo lide - clozufilu
    I guess videos like this are what this category was made for, even if it wasn'y my favorite video from this editor in 2017. Even if I want to dock it points for the pointlessly edgy opening, I have to give them all back and then some for the ending.

What will win:
    Sunlight - Sunlight
    I'm not saying this isn't enjoyable or that it's not a big visual achievement, because it is. I'm not even saying that a video has to be "original" to be good. This is a beautiful AMV and people will want to reward it and the spirit of imagination behind it. All I'm just saying is that if there was a category for Least Original AMV, Sunlight would have to win it.

3. seasons

seasons Member

Best Storytelling

What should win:
    NekoKitKat - Salvation
    Probably a straight-forward recap of the movie but NKK does a really good job of it.

UnluckyArtist - Unsatisfied
    I'm not even sure if the editing is telling the story here as much as trying to keep up with the song but even if UA is just barely creating the illusion that this it is, that's a big accomplishment given what he's got to work with here.

What will win:
    NekoKitKat - Salvation
    I really like this. I think most viewers will feel the same way.

UnluckyArtist - Unsatisfied
    People love Hamilton. But that wouldn't matter if this AMV wasn't really, really good, which it is.

Redrum - Deep WΔter
    The first time I watched this, I was really pulled into it and absolutely astounded that someone made a crossover AMV like this and that, oh my god, I could actually kind of tell what was happening in it. It took me a while to realize that there is really no story here to speak of, but I can see lots of other viewers getting hoodwinked just like I did. I honestly wonder if enough of them will actually will and overcome the possible vote split between the two other videos I just mentioned.

4. seasons

seasons Member

I probably should have preceded all posts here by saying that "what should win" is just my opinion, please disagree with me.

5. Kireblue

Kireblue New Member AMV Contest Coordinator

Most underappreciated Semi-Finalist

Pan-type - Cartoonist Kazuto: I just want to tell a story about dreams
    I feel that this video is so creative, but I think it got overlooked by a lot of people due to its youtube upload being blocked in the U.S., and only being available on AMVNews. I was especially impressed by how the editor used audio from multiple anime voiced by the same voice actor to make a consistent narrative for the story. I personally voted for it in "Most Original", "Best Storytelling", and "Best use of Multiple Anime". So sad that it didn't make finals in a single category

6. seasons

seasons Member

Best Character Profile

What should win:
    Almost everyone - There are no bad videos here, just ones I like more than others.

What will win:
    Iren S.S. - Dentelle
    I honestly don't know how good of a "character profile" this is but this is very popular and it's rare to see a video with such a lesser-known anime (and orchestral music) get this much appeal in a category that seems to be gear toward popular sources.

Mycathatesyou - Money$hot
    This is really fun, infectiously so.

7. seasons

seasons Member

This is exactly why I haven't seen it until today. Thanks for the reminder.

8. seasons

seasons Member

Best Romance

What should win:
    Artofeel - Didi
    Someone finally made a sophisticated adult romance AMV that doesn't oblige any of our usual cravings or expectations for this stuff and I want to reward it just for that. Definitely an AMV that took some time to grow on me, with a lot of subtle touches I never really appreciated on that initial Artofeel is back!-anticipation filled viewing. Put the kids to bed before turning this one on!

Kroner - That Day
    Even when this concept doesn't quite work (and it mostly does, but it's impossible not to look for the seams between these sources and eventually find them), it's done with a sincerity and a gentleness that just sucks me in anyway.

BecauseImBored1 - Armored Amour
    I still need to watch Utena. I need to get sick so I can marathon Steven Universe. I'm kind of familiar with each of these sources and...yeah, this video succeeds and feels every bit as big and dramatic and fantastic as you'd expect it to.

What will win:
    Kroner - That Day
    People are going to love this crossover. Or at least I'd think so, it has nowhere near as many views on YouTube as I assume it would have.

BecauseImBored1 - Armored Amour
    Kind of a dark horse in this category, don't count it out!