AMV Documentary Project (Help Needed!)

Discussion in 'AMV Documentary' started by MinetChan, Jan 2, 2017.

1. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

Hello editors!

My name is Madeleine and I started creating AMVs in 2006. I love the AMV community and I wouldn’t be myself without these experiences — without the friends I have met and the places I have seen.

I recently came back from a hiatus due to my health. I have more time now to focus on editing and this, as well as ideas in the past, made me finally realize that I want to give back to the AMV community by creating an AMV documentary.

AMV France and AMVDE have had success with this, creating a few documentaries about their editors. However, editors from the states (CrackTheSky, Koopsikeva, ZephyrStar, and more) have attempted to put things in motion, but sadly, videos never fully materialized. The purpose of this project is to finally make these plans a reality — to create a video that documents our craft, our passion. It's important to share our history and to promote our hard work.

That is why I need your help.

I need footage (be it photos or videos) from AMV events and get togethers across the globe. I am looking for anything — even B-roll of your editing set up and you editing videos at your computer. If anyone is planning a trip to a convention and you are interested in filming the AMV programming — this too would be most helpful. I also will be conducting some interviews, however if anyone would like to conduct interviews of their own and send them my way, that would be great as well.

I plan on taking a year or so to put this project together. AMV events take place throughout the year, so it is important to plan ahead. I am especially in need of people capturing international conventions (like Japan Expo, Connichi, etc.). It would also be great to have footage of Anime Expo, as well as smaller conventions, etc. So if anyone has plans on going somewhere and they want to film their experiences, please message me or add your details to this filming schedule.

I think the hardest part about such a project is the fact that we are all busy people. This is not a paid job. It is a project made by our volunteered time and effort. I completely understand if you have limited access to equipment and/or time, or if you aren't able to commit to this project.

However, if you do, this project will be a way to commemorate and preserve our AMVs and our experiences with fellow editors. It will act as an introduction to the world of AMV-editing — a way to educate people about our passion.

Here is our revised and detailed outline of the documentary!

Here is a list of things we really need!

The biggest theme for this project is community -- how and why we connect across the world.

This isn't set in stone and it will most likely change as footage and interview are received. As of now, the plan is to create a feature-length film, but this may change also depending upon how much info we decide to cover.

I have set up a Google Drive folder with documents that will help us get started. Listed below are the documents you will find there:

For anyone who is interested in filming specific events, they should go to the filming schedule listed above. Here you can edit the spreadsheet and add your information in the columns. As it is set up, there is a deadline of about 2 weeks for submitting the footage after the filming of the specified event.

As far as interviews go, I would prefer to have them look more professional. This means filming yourself and having someone ask you questions. I understand if this isn’t possible, so I am also open to interviewing via Skype. You will find more details in the guidelines document.

As a last note, I want to thank everyone for their support over the years. I am forever grateful for AMVs and the editors behind them. This project means so much to me and I really cannot wait to work with all of you.

If anyone has any questions, ideas, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. You can reach me via Discord, the forums, or by emailing me at: mbrookman323@gmail.com

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    IdiAlex and Axel like this.
  2. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

Not sure i can help with this, we will see...
    Its such a great idea though, really looking forward to the outcome of this project.
    Good luck!!!

MinetChan likes this.
  3. Cmoididi

Cmoididi WeedLord

Yo,The subject is rather broad and vague. I just wrote 3 time long texte to explain why i'm septic about this way to build this projet, with "asking random help" and don't say what point of view this documentary will have but i'll just don't care and yolo haha
    We already made 3 report about JE so idk why you just don't ask direcly the video to Shinryu and me haha So idk if we need you need more footage, i'll probably don't do another JE report héhé
    Now i realy think you need a "summary"/"structur plan" of what you want to have (just the basic stuff, the main bone of the documentary story), that'll help everyone to find more acurate question, i supose haha
    For the moment i only see much north America thing and 1 German ( + me, baguette), idk if amv are active or not in other country but i'm pretty sure the world is bigger than that ;p hope you(we)'ll be able to find more various people.
    I saw you plain to shoot "programming" and "judging" contest, you mean "shoot judgment and preparation of the contest" ?
    To ad question idea, i just ad a "-" and write it or I anwser here and we choice if it's ok or not haha ?

"What is the "birth of amv" for you? Any date ? Groupe of people ? Country?" (type of question who need a true anwser, not only what people think it's true haha for my part i don't know when or how amv are born so i think much people only know a little part of the story or only know bullshit XD)
    "What's the limit of AMV for you ? I mean amv are limited because we use footage we haven't created blablabla."
    "AMV can be art or not (define art) ? "
    (i hate that kind of question, i got the awnser but i know people will say bullshit and it'll be fun)

more soon If i am inspired.

PS : another idea, i think we should do lot of "statistic" and show number, like "% of amv maker arround the world" ectect I don't know if it's posible but i'm sure it can help, ad some fact and bone to the documentary.

4. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky Administrator Staff Member

This sounds awesome and I'd love to help however I can. One question at this point, though -- do you have an outline or overview for how you'll be structuring the final product? I realize this may not be something you will know until you start receiving footage from people, but as I spoke with others a year or two ago about a similar idea for an AMV documentary, one of the walls we kept running into was how to actually arrange things so that it's both interesting and informative for editors and people on the outside of the community.

Is this going to be a kind of feature-length film? Will it be split into multiple parts/episodes? I get that the purpose is to educate outsiders about AMVs and the culture surrounding them, but that can take many forms, and it's a lot of ground to cover. What I'd hate to see is something overly general and wishy-washy that doesn't really say much and leaves the viewer with more questions than it answers. Trying to establish a firm direction now might be a good idea, not only for your own sanity, but so we can be of more help. For example, if you wanted to get an idea of the historical development of the hobby, there may be older editors that would be able to provide boatloads of useful information that aren't on these forums, but people here know how to get in contact with them and can help that way. Giving a vague "send me whatever you can" will only get you so far, and you probably won't get a great response (especially as you may find that people will start assuming others will contribute and do nothing themselves) -- if you provide a set checklist of things you need, you may find that people are more willing to help when they have a set task they know they can accomplish and be accountable for.

I really want this to succeed because I've been craving to see something like this for years now, but I fear that this will end the same way previous attempts have -- with no one actually contributing, because there's not enough direction given and nobody really knows how they can contribute in a way that's meaningful to them.

5. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

Hello! I am aware of that! I sent a message to ShinRyu, but he hasn't replied back. Would you be okay if I used some of the footage in the JE reports? Do you have the original files? Those would be really helpful!

ZephyrStar and I are discussing further details for the structure at the moment. It is pretty vague mainly because we don't know what we will have by the end of this year. It helps having the footage, before scripting. Definitely though as things progress, we will be getting a better idea of the video flow.

Programming entails any panels, contests, and/or AMV-related events. And the judging includes a behind the scenes look of being a contest coordinator and judging AMVs for contests. I think it would be great to have both sides. The editors and the editors/people behind AMV contests and events.

These are all really great questions to add. I will keep them in mind! Feel free to message me more ideas that you think of. The ones I originally listed were basics. I have plans to send extra questions to certain editors I plan to get interviews from.

I think that is a great idea too. We can count numbers of editors that show up registered on the main AMV websites. We can also administer a survey to understand key aspects of the AMV scene. I will look into doing this fairly soon.

6. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

Hello! I added a quick summary of the structure above. I am still waiting to see if ZephyrStar can find his outline from before too.

My original idea was to create a feature-length documentary. However depending upon how much information we decide to cover we might have to change this to a multi-part documentary series.

I totally agree with you. I will come up with a detailed list of things we definitely need in the next few days.

Thanks for your advice!

7. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like fun, I be happy to help if I can ^^

8. Cmoididi

Cmoididi WeedLord

It's just me or CrackTheSky just repeat the 1st thing I said ? HAHA REPORTED :D

Hum i deleted original footage but i got 2015/16 report in "ok" quality (better than something download from YT haha). ShinRyu is totaly out of AMV since....idk since when, before i started haha I can try to contact him if you don't have anwser from him.

About the structure, i think one of the most important thing is to choice if interview are the guide line or if you want to create a more complexe thing, for JE report, i always work like that. I wrote question and I sort it to create a "plan". Than that can change after seeing all the footage, obviously héhé
    So for me the best way to start to see what kind of structure you can made with this vid is to do your own (or someone easy to catch) interview and edit it to see what you'll realy need, what can be cool to detail, what can be skip ectect

9. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

Excellent, I believe I already voiced the same concerns that sky and didi have mentioned on the forums haha, but theres an outline so its fine now. :p

I'll be willing to help in whatever means necessary, although being quite new and not having the ability to travel to many AMV related events does limit me with providing footage. Otherwise i guess i could help with voiceovers or interviews, I myself have a bit of experience with that in particular. also i hear people like british accents.

It would be great to have a draft script of some kind as soon as possible, do you know who would be writing such a thing? You or another volunteer?

10. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

Oh wow. I didn't know. But yeah, It's been almost a week now. Feel free to talk to him when you have the chance.

I will be using your interview footage (from the JE reports) and I will be interviewing Vlad Pohnert in April. When I have these it will be easier for me to see how the history section and international sections are coming together. Of course, if I get anything else between now and then I will have an even better idea.

11. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

Yes, we love British accents.. XD
    But in all seriousness, it would be great to get interviews from Britain. I will message you on Discord so I can get a better idea of who you will be talking to (I might have different questions).

And yes, a script will be put together shortly. ZephyrStar is trying to find his material from earlier as a starting off point. I will also have more specific things I need listed in this thread shortly.

12. ZephyrStar

ZephyrStar Moderator Staff Member

I've got some good stuff and some lessons that I learned during the time I was working on this, so yes, give me time and I will provide a much more structured approach with all my research and some of the lessons learned, and we can go from there. One of the big challenges is that this hobby spans multiple generations, countries, cultures, various different communities across the internet, and conventions, so just putting it all down into one film is a monumental undertaking. There's also no one "right" way to do it, so we have to be as egalitarian as possible about it.

13. Cmoididi

Cmoididi WeedLord

Yes is a fucking mess haha Maybe we can open a list of "people who should/can be interviewed", i did that for both japan expo report to have in mind "how much itw i must do". It can probably help to manage the globale schedule of this project. Maybe if we ask people who they want to see into that kind of video ,that can help you/us/jesus to be more egalitarian , idk.

14. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

At the moment, I have been asking for lots of different editors. I also have a list of people I really need for sure and I am contacting them. I will be posting a document for what we need (interviews and b-roll) by next week.

We need lots of different perspectives for interviews — newcomers, veterans, site admins, contest coordinators, and people from all over the world. But yes, I agree with making it more egalitarian for sure. I am coming up with a survey for the project — I will add a few questions like "which veteran editors should be interviewed" and "which new editors should be interviewed."

15. MinetChan

MinetChan Member

I just posted up an outline and a "things we need" list up above in the main post! Enjoy! :D

A big shout out to ZephyrStar for helping with this process!

16. Dr. Derpface

Dr. Derpface Make AMV's Great Again Staff Member

Mentioned it on Discord, but figured I'd put it here as well. Any narration, interpretation tracks you need, I'm available, along with being able to help with some of the audio work if needed. Use me and abuse me. :p

17. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

I would be up for doing an interview or helping or whatever misc help you need.

18. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

I'll have to go digging, but I do have a bit of footage from that past few years at AWA of editors hanging out at the con and I know I have a copy or two somewhere of some old videos shot by SQ back in the day. I do have contest award ceremony footage from AWA as well.

I would also be available for an interview. Though I'd prefer to do it as either a contest coordinator or an AMV fan/viewer/ect more so then an editor myself. Cuz' while I have been making videos since 2002 (when I first had the PC equipment to do it) I've been a fan of AMVs for much longer (early 90s) and consider myself a fan before and editor.

mittoh! likes this.
  19. TheAceRailgun

TheAceRailgun Conlangery person

Just a thought, but maybe we should put some footage from AMV Roulette in the documentary, whether it's an AMV or two or someone recording their editing, etc.

20. ZEST

ZEST New Member

i would do it like netflix chefs table tbh

small portraits of people
    the whole community part might lead it into a heavy otaku zone imo
    "looks it`s the funny ppl with green hair and a hat" lelelelle

TheAceRailgun likes this.