AMV News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shorisquared, Jan 7, 2017.

1. shorisquared

shorisquared Best Waifu

Can someone explain to me how AMV News works?

2. UnluckyArtist

UnluckyArtist Member

From my perspective it's this scary place that's been around since the cold war and a small mysterious group of people control every aspect, including what is news and what is not, it's all blatantly opinionated but anyone can actually submit a video.. and if this mysterious group allows it, you get a video featured. There's also a ratings system that anyone registered can use. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason for how a person rates a vid or how they express their opinion. Between what the mystery staff posts and what they allow others to post you're guaranteed to find something you haven't seen before. Every now and then there is a contest. Overall, It's diplomatic but tough and unapologetic.

Sonicfreak likes this.
  3. Iren S.S.

Iren S.S. Guns N' Vincents

It's an online version of post-Soviet criminal reality :D

Radical_Yue likes this.
  4. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

It used to be a popular russian media outlet however due to communist censorship it was turned into a site for sharing remixed videos featuring japanese animation synced to music. Truly a sad and undeserved prospect that we should be glad we will never have to suffer.
    [​IMG]

5. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

6. shorisquared

shorisquared Best Waifu

Yes. Tell me more, oh magical cat.

7. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

You know how like on every other site you would be the one uploading/announcing/sharing your own video? Well in Soviet Russia the AMVs upload (for) you.
    Basically a group of russian uploaders upload what they think are quality AMVs and they get posted to the front page as news. If you upload your own stuff you'll most likely end up in the exam section unless its popular or rates high enough. If you're fortunate to get an uploader who likes your stuff regularly you'll show up on the front page regularly, otherwise its kind of a crapshoot if enough people are brave enough to survive the wastes that is the exam section to find quality stuff to vote up to qualify for the front page. Or at least this is how it was explained to me and what I've generally seen from my experience.

shorisquared likes this.
  8. shorisquared

shorisquared Best Waifu

Shin. That was the most informative post I've seen. Thank you very much. I learned a lot.

9. Ileia

Ileia WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE Staff Member Calendar Senpai

I feel like there must be an uploader who adds my videos just to troll the rest. :confused:

10. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

11. Chiikaboom

Chiikaboom ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ

x2

Ileia likes this.
  12. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

13. WolfandSerpent

WolfandSerpent Queen of Plushies

All I remember of AMVNews is that I didn't see there was an english option when I went to the site, so everything was in the magical written language of Russian. \('3')/ Although, even after selecting the english option, half of the Russian remained, so no idea what most of the comments to videos say. Probably bad things.

Iren S.S. likes this.
  14. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

Yeah you gotta hit the little United Kingdom flag to get english. I throw the russian comments into google just to get a rough idea but half the time i still can't figure out what they're trying to tell me. which is pretty entertaining in itself.

15. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

I never really understood the standards of AMVs on that page.. It's like, some good (in my opinion) AMVs are underrated, others over-rated. Perhaps there are peeps who on purpose underrate some works or simply don't understand how much effort you put into your work.. Either way, it's fun to read comments under some videos. But yea.. I have to agree what Shin said.

16. Iren S.S.

Your suppositions are true :D

17. Vik

Vik New Member

Honestly I mostly upload my works there just to have a fast access to any of them in case I lost the original file. And about the politics of the web there is not much to say, just another reflection of the poor community of AMV's, they basically rate your work depending on other factors than the quality of the video. It is easy to see it since you can watch mainstream works in the main page and being rated as 4.5 or even more, and then you go to the exam section and it's full of interesting stuff with poor ratings and funny comments that don't even give a right criticism, it only shows that many people on that site is not actually capable of give real feedback because they lack on knowledge, they basically make fun of your work.

And it's sad because AMV News it has a lot of qualities if we talk about the organization and the methods of sharing the videos, but without a great community behind it's useless.

Iren S.S. likes this.
  18. Iren S.S.

To be honest, I really doubt that there can exist any community (regardless of wherher it is related to AMV or any other field) that is 100% fair, objective and free of trolling/hate, and where each and every member evaluates the works of others honestly and impersonally. It's just that in some communities the percentage of such unpleasant factors is higher and in some other places it is somehow either minimized or regarded without much pain. In case of AMV News, it's worth mentioning that there are still some people who try to leave sane comments and give constructive feedback to the videos in the exam section (and on the frontpage). Unfortunately, other users (the majority) are either too biased and unfriendly, or too passive, which creates the sense that the community as a whole is hostile. Adding to that the fact that most of the users there do not know/speak English, it becomes very hard for a newcomer to discern what is a truly adequate and serious feedback and what is just "making fun of your work", as Vik mentioned above.

I mean, it's hard to break through that wall even for those who speak Russian, let alone for the internationals :D

19. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

Perhaps AMVnews is not the best place to receive a constructive critique. As Vik said, it could be a good place to simply upload your works and have faster download access. Honestly, every time I try to upload something there I'm afraid that it's not good enough and it will never meet their standards, but hell, there are sometimes worse works that get loads of attention. I'm not sure how about others, but I find Akross more friendly place and there you actually can see people criticizing videos without being all rude. I guess, in the end, AMVnews will stay a mystic place to everyone. It's like a woman. You will never understand it.

20. Iren S.S.

Ha-ha, I'm not sure about Akross either, but I agree that sometimes, when the site is alive during the contest, the chances of seeing something constructive become higher. Partially that's due the fact that international editors visit the site more often those days. Most of the real feedback comes from them and a few old users that have been stickin' around since ancient times.

By and large, in my opinion AMV News is just a website operating on a mass consumption basis and that's the whole mystery.

Kazu likes this.