Future Of The Amv Community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Umbra, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Umbra

Umbra New Member

I’m currently trying to get back into AMVs. I really want this community to advance. I want us to make it more than a hobby. I want into to turn into a career. A dream job. Hopefully splitting revenue of MEPs throughout members. I’ve recently realized this is possible teespring can provide merch + Adsense + Basic Affiliate Marketing.We can be more! This isn’t even the only way we can convert our hobby into a career. I know this company that has a similar app to vine that is obsessed with our community. And is currently creating a bitcoin like currency to integrate it with the fan edits/amv community. I know it may seem crazy but I think it can happen. Pm me if interested! I know many of this is hypothetical but this is a very good possibility.

Company I Mentioned
    https://www.instagram.com/zenvideonetwork

My Discord
    Umbra #7915

YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN5JmozGyvOuEdbqHFw8kuQ

2. Dawne Snow

Dawne Snow how do i forum

It's cool to use skills acquired from AMV creation in your career (and indeed that's happened for many editors over the years), but making money off this stuff is seedy and we prefer to avoid that around here. There might be communities that feel otherwise; your proposal might find a warmer reception there.

Why "seedy"? There's a few reasons, but probably the least opinionated is:
    Sometimes a publisher will be able to procure the rights to synchronize some anime and some music (according to some set of constraints...), and will hire an editor to do that. That happens, but it isn't the common case, and unless you've gone through all that rigmarole, making money off this stuff pushes something which is legally gray into something that's a lot more clearly "wrong".

3. Enigmo

Enigmo Member

People will indeed come to u saying "making money from amvs is wrong bruh" but I disagree. Such an idea is nonsense that belongs in a capitalist community--not our community over here. its sayin anime and music is private property and we cannot use it as capital for ourselves... what is "capital"? well capital is any asset that grants you gain of some kind. now this dawn guy above me mentions there are nibbas in the community who became pro editors from acquiring skills via editing anime and music. now...would u not say they have breached the laws of capitalism through that, already? their gain has been editing skill, and how did they acquire these gains? through use of assets they do not own the rights to use: anime, music and software. therefore, editing amvs is already wrong and breaching all kinds of stuff. as such, i deem it fine to make $5 a month. it's not like the money you make from amvs will value in the property ownership of the anime/music.

there actually are no laws with anime (and a lot of other visual media) that make one less illegal than the other, for editing the anime for non-monetary-profit and editing them for monetary profit. understanding this will take a good amount of education in law, philosophy and economics like I have, but I hope i have simplified and made it easy to understand the truth of this situation

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. Dr. Derpface

Dr. Derpface Make AMV's Great Again Staff Member

AMV's as a hobby are generally fine. They're covered under Fair Use, as they are deemed transformative works. Where it gets a little grey is using entire songs, which is usually where rights-holders tend to get a little picky. Case in point, Road Runner Records. The Org was forced to remove all AMV's using songs by Roar Runner artists (i.e. Evanescence). But in general, rights-holders look the other way, as they see it as a mostly harmless hobby. But they don't have to, and can make things difficult if they so choose.

HOWEVER...

This all flies out the window the second you start trying to make money off of it. If you're going to make money using someone else's creative work (in this case someone else's song and anime series), you need several licenses.
    • Master License: This allows a composition to be used and re-recorded for use in a visual media project. This is granted by the company that owns the original or "master" recording.
    • Synchronization License: This allows a preexisting recording to be used in a visual media project. This is granted by the company that publishes the specific recording to be used.
    Both of these licenses are required in order to use a song in its entirety. And songs can only be licensed individually. You can't get a license for an album as a whole.

You would also need similar licenses for each and every anime you wanted to use in your video, likely on a per episode basis. A license from the original studio that created the show or film, along with a license from the company that actually published them.

These licenses are usually not cheap (if they even agree to sell one to you), but they are very necessary (and this is probably not even an exhaustive list of what would be required). If you try to produce for-profit AMV's without the proper licensing, you will be sued by very expensive lawyers. If you don't follow the licensing requirements to the letter for attribution, etc., you will likely have said license revoked, which will mean you have to take that AMV down or face the aforementioned lawsuit. I can pretty much guarantee you that the cost of the required licensing will be much greater than any revenue you might generate with your AMV. Ergo, you generate no profit after incurring expensive liabilities.

Bottom Line: The reason AMV's are mostly left alone is because they are specifically not making a profit. Most companies see it as a harmless hobby. If they really love a particular editor's work, then as @Dawne Snow said, they might hire said editor to do a video for them. But that's on a per-project basis, and is exceedingly rare on the whole. If you try to make money off of it without getting the licensing nailed down, you're likely to have lawyers crawl straight up your ass and start stabbing, along with casting a negative light on the community as a whole.

Source: College I went to has one of the top media/broadcasting/journalism programs in the country, with a strong emphasis on Mass Communication Law. Obligatory IANAL applies.