GeoCon: Interest?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by IdiAlex, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
?

Are you interested in such a con?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

Hello there. I was thinking about new concept of contest when a new question in face of Pic4 came. Will ppl be interested in that? So I'll tell you rules as I see them and then you reply with critics, suggestions and other.

Rules (it is going to be changed much, I think, but the sense will be like this):
    I have a pack with (for example) 20 russian songs. (every year the country will be changed)
    Also I have lyrics and translation of all these songs into english.
    Participants' aim is to edit one of these songs due to the text.
    Also editors from chosen country can't take part.

Please tell me what you think. You can also contact me on skype (alx__ko) and discord (IdiAlex#6302)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Cmoididi

Cmoididi WeedLord

Weird, too much restriction i think. I don't want to talk for other people so 'ill just tell my random point of view : I think those rules a not interesting, people who want to edit something focus on lyric, i can do it but if you imposed the music, idk how many people can find a music that could be used because it's even more harder to chose a music when you try to do hardcore lyric sync...so that also explain why i think pack song is not very wise AND this country rules...also weird, why exclude people who are the most able to use song from they own country XD When i read this i just saw a man without one leg...cuting his other leg HAHAHAHA
    And if it's an ic, i'm also lost because ic + lyric sync = drop XD

BUT it can be a interesting challenge and cool to see people think about news contest concept, good luck

IdiAlex likes this.
  3. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

No, that's not. Too stupid (even for me haha)

Ye, that's true. I don't really know how to fix it. Mb make like on skirmish: ppl offer songs they like and then vote? Or this also won't work?

It isn't weird because they have superiority. Actually, I think editors from chosen country are going to be judges. (cause they have superiority, lol)

Thanks for your reply, I find it very useful)

Cmoididi likes this.
  4. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

well, in a lot of ways this is kinda of a similar idea to how we used to run daily/weekly Iron Chef challenges in the old days of IRC and the channel SuperIC. Basically someone would judge and give everyone a single song to work with and that was it. The difference here is that the music would be foreign which is why the lyric translation is needed. Honestly I don't find any problem with trying to lyric sync to a foreign song or even do it as an IC, I've done that before back in those days. Putting out a 4+ min video in 2 hours and doing lyric sync wasn't hard actually, at least for me. But obviously everyone's mileage will vary based on their experience and abilities. I really like the idea here and providing a large enough pool of songs will make it easier for a wider group of editors to find something they would want to work with. It will be a challenge though no matter what and that is what I find interesting about it, but not sure how much support it will gather due to the challenge and most people will want to stick with what they are comfortable with.

5. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

Ye, that's my question. That's why I made the thread. I want to know ppl opinion about this, if they will participate. Mb I have to fix rules or think about completely different type of contest.

6. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

After reading it a few times im actually thinking it could work quite well. Prehaps the gimmick of the IC could be the editors TRY to lyric sync without knowing what it actually says? Although thats just an idea. Foreign songs are always edited interestingly by those outside the countries so i think it has potential, no matter how it is run
    Prehaps rather than being an IC it should be classed as a contest? Then you could give it a longer time period and advertise it everywhere.
    If you did run it however id join in as a participant.

7. Cmoididi

Cmoididi WeedLord

If people who judge are come from the country of the song pack, they'll be fucking rough with the participant i think haha "YOU FUCKING NOOB YOU DESTROY THIS SONG, YOU DONT UNDERSTAND 1% OF IT" haha (jk, god idea)

8. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

I haven't said smth about IC guys, why you think about it? IT WON'T BE IC

9. MapleMAD

MapleMAD Damsel in Defense

I like the idea, although I think the translation of lyrics might be challenging since plenty of words in fact can have several definition, and this will matter more when the main aim of the contest is to edit songs by the text.

10. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

As almost everybody in amv-community knows only 2 languages (their own and english), I think, firstly, it will be an aim to make ppl from different contries stick together and secondly, participants ofc will be able to ask translators about lyrics.

11. Joskua

Joskua Taco Queen Staff Member Queen of Tacos

I have an idea based on this:
    What if all the participants share, let's say 2-5 songs from their countries (adding a document with translations), you randomly pick 1 or 2 of the songs from their options to build a main pack and the only ones who can't edit such songs are people from that country?

12. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

It's not really the idea I want. My idea is to choose one country in one year. Your variant is good tho, if my won't work, we'll play around your concept ^^