Lets talk editing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shin, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

Man, I love editing. I like taking footage and rearranging it and having visuals match with audio in some way whether its just sync or like cool flowy motions and transitions or whatever. I'm assuming most of you love editing too, or maybe you hate editing but you love the feel of a finished vid so much that you'll trudge through misery just to get that sweet sweet moment when you release it to be viewed and shared with the world. Whatever your reason lets talk random editing shit.

Lets get all pretentious in this thread about techniques, styles, composition, effects, raw, sync, or whatever. Don't know how to start or engage in this conversation? You're in luck! Neither do I! We can wing it together though! If you want you can ask me a question on my thoughts on something and I'll give you a rambling answer that may or may not answer it or maybe we can get in a 9 page debate on why scene selection is probably the most important thing and most effects are tacky or terribly implemented!

The world is our oyster boys and girls, lets take advantage of it and just try to keep up an active and lively community.

MapleMAD likes this.
  2. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

Whats your favourite way to put together an AMV? Do you pre-select scenes in your head before you start working, plan it out as soon as you hit a fresh timeline or just go ham? Im a bit of a mix between creating on the spot and a few ideas i come up with before, but im sure there are better ways to do it.

3. irriadin

irriadin Administrator Staff Member

So this is one of my favorite pieces of editing in any form of media, and partially responsible for inspiring me to edit:

Why do I love this scene? Many reasons. The composition choices alone are stunning (that framing with the stain glass background is so beautiful). The dialogue is intense and brutally efficient, yet still weighted with meaning (reinforcing one of Cowboy Bebop's core themes - your past can't be outrun or forgotten, it has to be addressed.)

But really, what truly separates this scene from others and elevates it to another level entirely is the editing itself. The editing and the music, which provide a perfect contrast and harmony with each other. As Spike falls in slow motion, we're treated to a disconnected series of flashback scenes that ostensibly reveal much of Spike's backstory. How he got to be who he is, but more importantly, who he used to be. His relationship with Julia, Vicious, and others. There's a lot of effective symbolic imagery (the fallen rose in the water, the ripped papers fluttering in the wind, etc) and fantastic, moody color grading (evoking a very 'film noir' vibe at times, especially in scenes with Julia), etc. It's amazing how much emotion and storytelling is compacted into this brief 3 minute sequence.

4. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

A lot of what I love about editing (and AMVs in general) as well as my own style I think comes out of the time when I got into the act of watching AMVs and the hobby itself. I started watching videos back in 1996 when I first had access to a dialup modem and the wider internet available to me (not just the confined playgrounds of prodegy, AOL, and other such services) and found old RM files on fan sites. A lot of straight cut, some crossfades if the editor had access to better equipment, and a lot of focus on the song with long thought out scenes and lot of internal sync (even if it was accidental.)

For me, when I'm prepping a video I start with the song. That's what gives me the idea. I then mull it over in my head, think about sources, stare at my wall of Anime discs, and figure out what would fit and make something interesting. I choose a source and from there I think about the source itself. What scenes there are. I visualize some shots in my head, specific sync elements or points I want to hit, try to edit those first, and fill in the rest as I go along.

If I take an example from a video I made, take Love and Hate. I basically planned the whole video around 1 specific scene that I knew existed and would be cool to see. Check out at 3:20 for the bridge scene. I planned that one out, did it first, then worked on everything else after. Perhaps it makes sense when you watch it, and maybe you can pick out other scenes similar in my other videos.

I mainly edit in moods and feelings. I work in the moment mostly and let my muse take me where I'm going. Placing scenes as I come across them and seeing the final product shape itself bit my bit as I do it at the whim of my muse. It's a fun thing to do, putting clips on the timeline. What I can't stand is all the work that goes into prepping source just for that part.

I can take 2 hours and edit a 7 min long video that I'm proud of and had tons of fun doing. But the prepping of the source to get there could take weeks sometimes. Very boring. Just the one part that I really hate.

5. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

awwwww yisss. The conversation is beginning to take shape. I'll reply more later when I'm off work.

6. Kagacie

Kagacie King of procrastinators and potatoes

wait you need to actually finish a video? DAMMIT I have been doing it wrong this whole time. why didn't anyone tell that it was such a important part of editing

7. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

I came across my first couple amvs around 2002/2003. I wanted to know how they did it so bad, I downloaded lots of guides off the net from a friends house and took them home to practice in 2004. From that point on, I started making amvs. I would say what drives me is the editing techniques. I don't finish projects often, but I do practice quite alot. I have a folder of unfinished stuff just because I was practicing something XD

Alot of editors inspired me over the years, so just a quick shoutout to doki doki. Thanks bro, wouldn't started making videos if it wasn't for you of inspiring me ^^
    http://www.doki.ca/videos/

AniRose likes this.
  8. UnluckyArtist

UnluckyArtist Member

Gosh I sure do enjoy editing, which feels kinda weird to say. I really didn't think I'd be into making anime music videos at first because they seemed cheesy at first glance but, I found the process to be really fun and the more I found out that you could do anything you wanted the more I got interested.That's editing in general really and that's really what got me into film and stuff, all those movies that had amazing special effects like the Matrix movies, and its funny how flashy effects got me into film and videos but now I know effects are definitely not the most important thing.. it should just be the icing on the cake.

9. King Redeem

King Redeem Member

Much like Nate, it always starts with the song for me. And it has to a song with substance. Dynamic. It needs high and lows that you can really enhance using scene selection. If the song goes the same speed the entire time I can't get into it. No amount of superb editing or effects is going to save the video for me.

The satisfaction for me comes in finding the scene that best extracts the essence of the song at that one particular moment. I guess that's why I naturally gravitate toward raw-y edits, as the success of the video hinges more on the melding between the source footage and the song.

10. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

I edit AMVs cuz drawing everything by hand takes too long.

AniRose likes this.
  11. I would agree that the song usually comes first for amvs for me. Usually I'll be listening to a song and a show or character will pop into my head and that's usually how I come up with concepts for me.

As far as amv editing actually goes I like amvs with cool effects and all and I can respect the work that goes into them, especially if they're done well enough that its hard to notice them unless you've seen the actual source. However, I don't think that they're really necessary if its an amv with a good concept and the source and song mesh well. I tend to like character focused amvs the most. I tend to edit more character focused amvs myself. Though based off the type of music I usually listen to and the anime I watch they tend to be a weird mix of action and drama category amvs... which in some ways can be harder to put together but can still be done well... even if my own videos aren't examples of it done well.

12. Celia Phantomhive

Celia Phantomhive The Yaoi Wizard Staff Member Queen of Yaoi

I love editing because I can fill the gaps between character relationships and make them all extremely homosexual for each other. That is like 90% of my motivation. The other 10% is to have a creative outlet. But I love brainstorming videos more than actually making them. Fffffffff struggle.

I COULD RANT FOR AGES

AniRose and TheAceRailgun like this.
  13. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

I really like editing when im not lazy to actually edit something lmao
    My fav part of editing is when i make cool internal sync and fluent connections between scenes, its my ultimate fanboy moment by far!

AniRose, mittoh! and Rider4Z like this.
  14. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

My favorite AMVs are the ones that utilize internal sync.

15. Voice From Moon

Voice From Moon Member New

I find this topic very deep and pointless at the same time because it all boils down to personal preferences at the end of the day. Do I think that scene selection is most important thing in the whole process? While my own style is heavily lodged in scene selection as every single one who spoke until now, I certainly don't think that it always is the most important part. One thing for sure you can't get away without doing it at all because how else you can call it an AMV? But other than that it all depends on the idea on which work is build upon. Want to be sentimental and pay homage to your favorite show, you'll just end up hiding the actual stuff behind effects if you overdo it. Want to be somewhat original. Well probably your absolutely raw edit wont cut it. So if I had to say it. Something in between is the best. But then again your scene selection have to compliment your effects... So maybe it's not far off that scene selection is most important thing.

Everyone talks that they start song first then anime and from that point the whole idea. While this is most elegant way of doing things. I'd like to hear if anyone went other way around or in any other unusual variation which produced something that otherwise could not be achieved if it were the normal workflow scenario. In my case I have finished several projects that would not exist simply because I don't listen to that kind of music, but nevertheless was quite good fit for that idea. Both have started off of anime following with stupid project ideas and finally concluding with equally shitty song. And off course everything sealed with tons of self loathing while trying to accomplish what was started. While it all sounds bad, I actually liked results.

mittoh! likes this.
  16. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

Force sync produces a video, but internal sync produces art.

17. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

INTERNAL SYNC IS DEAD! LONG LIVE INTERNAL SYNC!!!!

mittoh! likes this.
  18. UnluckyArtist

UnluckyArtist Member

Internal sync is like the heartbeat of the video. Heartbeat gives a pulse, if there's no pulse, it's dead. External? sync is like the clothes. Are they matching?
    I guess the goal is to create a real boy, full of personality and swagger.

Voice From Moon likes this.
  19. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

Audio is the driving force behind music videos, so it makes sense for editors to be listening to their music and suddenly a scene will pop in their head. I have a few videos myself where I had an initial desire to edit with the video source and I actively searched out a music source to match, but the end results never felt as satisfying (with a couple exceptions).

Storytelling is my niche, not effects, so that's where I focus all my attention. (If I visualize something that requires special effects then I will put forth the effort but it doesn't happen often). Once I come up with my audio/video combo, I take however long - it could be a 2 hours or 2 weeks - to block out in my head what information I want to share, when and how. I don't focus on details so much as I do emotion. And sometimes I'll sacrifice aesthetics (or sync/oomph) if it results in the emotion I want. I think linear storytelling is boring so I try to weave story lines in and out of each other and bring them all together at the end. Easiest way to make that work is to edit backwards. I come up with my finale, or point, first and then go backwards on my timeline so I know where I'm going to end up. The ending is the most important part because that's what you leave your audience with.

20. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

Exactly!