Lets talk editing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shin, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Celia Phantomhive

Celia Phantomhive The Yaoi Wizard Staff Member Queen of Yaoi

Most of my projects are anime first because I have such a small pool of anime that I like editing from. Or idea -> anime(s) -> song. Like one day I'll just get a really stupid storyline idea then search for anime and songs for hours to see if it would work out or not. If I can't find scenes I'll drop it (or cry and alter the story). I only start song first if I hear something on the radio and get really inspired to edit it.

2. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

For me I feel like most of the ideas I finish start off as songs and then I find the right anime for it. The reverse is much broader in scope cause I think most anime can be paired with a lot of songs, but songs are more particular and it really narrows down the choices with anime and makes that part of the decision process easier. I'm still searching for songs for certain anime I want to edit with but haven't found the right fit, conversely I've got a lot of projects started with songs that I was like hey I can edit it with that anime littering my project folders.

3. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

I have quite a few videos under my belt that I did not follow up the traditional way simply because the song would not be something I'd normally listen to as well. Most of the time if I don't go the normal route it's due to a competition I'm in where I don't really have the option of choosing my sources exactly like an Iron Chef type competition or something like that. I've been given songs to edit to and then had 2 hours to make something even if I didn't care for the song. I've been given both the audio and the video source and had to edit with that. I wouldn't often say that these wound up being my best works but I've been proud of quite a few of them and later released them as full videos after taking some time for tuning them up. That 7 min video I referenced in my earlier post was actually one of these such videos ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=176929 ) where I was given a song and if I remember my source was picked out prior to the event so I just had to run with it. If you look at my catalog there are a number of entries that say from SuperIC or some other event and each of those were like that.

4. Pikapwn

Pikapwn New Member

I also tend to start with the song and then think of an idea or anime that would work from it. I think there are some exceptions though. Those themed contests similar to what Nate mentioned are one. Even if the contest doesn't give you a song to work with, the theme will often give you some kind of visual restriction, and at that point it might be easier to start with the anime choice first and then pick a song that goes with it.

The other could be comedy videos. There are many that have the really clever combinations between the song and the visuals that make them funny (and I'm honestly not sure where editors start with those), but there are also quite a few that rely mostly on the visuals for their humor. I feel that for the latter, it makes more sense to start with the anime choice and then pick a song from there. At least, that's what I did with my first comedy vid. I just needed dramatic music and narrowed it down to a few choices.

Also, in a similar vein to what irriadin mentioned about the Cowboy Bebop scene, I want to say that I think Perfect Blue is a really excellent work of editing in anime. The director uses a ton of really slick match cuts, but they're not just there to look cool. Even though they're done so well it would have been fine to include them for purely aesthetic reasons, each one holds meaning. At first they're use to carry a feeling across scenes: a feeling of unease that doesn't let go. Then they start to hold multiple meanings as past scenes that included them get referenced later in the movie, and they ultimately serve to blend reality and insanity as the movie starts to get really trippy and harder to follow. I think the movie is an example of effects use/creative transitioning at its finest and I'm really glad I decided to watch it after I started editing. I wouldn't have appreciated it so much otherwise.

ZoroIttoryu and mittoh! like this.
  5. Shin

This is a fairly accurate and succinct way of describing all that.

6. Shin

Anyone else watch a lot of dance and choreography for ideas on how to match sync and flow for movements? Thank god for quality dancer youtube channels that just swag out to a variety of songs m i rite?

7. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

I rewatched a lot of dank action scenes in films like kingsman and deadpool for one particular (dropped) video i made a month ago, to see how they matched the tone of the song to the action onscreen.
    Dance channels seem like an interesting inspiration, however. Do you have any example channels that you could link?

8. Celia Phantomhive

no I watch alot of yaoi for ideas on how to match sync and flow for movements you should try it

9. Shin

I'll throw up some quality youtube links when I get back home tonight. If you wanna search up some in the meantime some really spectacular dances from America's Best Dance Crew (I forget which seasons) Kaba Modern's Thriller dance and Fanny Pak's Get Your Freak On are both fan-facking-tastic. Jabberwockeez are always good but they sometimes feel like precise minimalists so its hard to generate ideas from them but their stuff is always pretty on point and enjoyable.

I started working on a yuri on ice video and started watching it too, does that count?

10. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

I do watch a lot of youtube videos for ideas on lighting, composition, ect for my YT channel videos. As for AMV work... well... I watch a lot of AMVs... well I do watch a lot of movies and get ideas for transitions and what not for videos. Probably my favorite video I've worked on in recent years is the Youmacon 2013 opening video (you can check my YT channel for the link) which is based on the ending credits for Iron Man 3. I loved the style and technique in those credits and I wanted to try to emulate it in a video. Been wanting to make a composition stlye video for quite some time using effects like seen in Ocean's 13, The Man from UNCLE, and other movies that use that old movie style of splicing scenes together creatively on screen at the same time.

11. Celia Phantomhive

yes that will do

12. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

Not even once.

13. Voice From Moon

Voice From Moon Member New

I started to take increased interest only quite recently but nevertheless I look at them as a prime example of internal synch. Also of their nature it is quite interesting too see how camera is used to emphasize certain moves to deliver greater impact.
    I definitely will check out all those juicy Shin's recommendations. As for myself I could only recommend URBAN DANCE CAMP because everything else what I have seen up till now is scattered all over youtube.
    As for ideas they come from everywhere, sometimes even watching tree branches swaying in the wind can result in some quite peculiar ones, unfortunately most of which ends up as useless, but still it's better than nothing.

14. UnluckyArtist

UnluckyArtist Member

Certain scenes in television or film tend to initiate some ideas, like in the way that it's edited or filmed that makes it stand out from the rest of the scenes, a particular slow-mo movie sequence actually helped me start something I'm working on now.

Audibly, hearing a song at a different angle can be interesting, like with a popular song bring out the bass over the treble and it could sound like a whole new song with new potential..

15. Celia Phantomhive

This this this I've gotten a lot of inspiration from watching really cool movies. Especially pacific rim, watching that always makes me want to edit :|

16. irriadin

irriadin Administrator Staff Member

I've linked the shit out this video, but it really is brilliant from an editing perspective. The sync, camera motion and character animation is all superb. I love how dynamic and powerful all of the motion is, it really fits with the character and the entire tone of the scene.

17. Shin

Most of the videos I was thinking about posting come from Urban Dance Camp and probably a lot of vids of Lia Kim in particular cause her dancing is pretty dope. Also Shit Kingz.

Voice From Moon likes this.
  18. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

You guys dont know REAL art

19. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

The magic in this video is lost on me. I remember spacing out when watching it in the theater. Doesn't do anything for me at all. But that's just me, no biggie~ :oops:

Here's my choice for a super video from an editing perspective. :cool:

*drool* I could sit and dissect that video all day <3

20. Shin