Lets talk editing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shin, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

2. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

I love the one on Michael Bay and his Bayhem.

3. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

4. seasons

seasons Member

5. seasons

seasons Member

Tell me more about going ham.

6. Pikapwn

Pikapwn New Member

Oh yeah! He has a video about Satoshi Kon and he touches on match cuts like a mentioned earlier.

Something else I really, really love to watch with an editor's perspective: the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure openings.

I feel like anime openings in general are kind of like AMVs with really loose sync (some with a bigger focus on sync than others), but these two openings have to be my favorites (liking the second one a little more than the first). They first one tells the story so clearly with lots of really great transitions, while the second one has some really excellent flow.

7. Shin

I think thats one of the reason OPs and EDs get used or 'abused' a lot. Aside from there generally being higher quality animation, they're designed to give away a lot of information quickly and easily through generic sequences that are fairly versatile.

8. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

as in, scrolling through the episodes and cutting out possible scenes to use on the fly.

9. UnluckyArtist

UnluckyArtist Member

Colorful with lots of cuts, I like.

This is a good method I think.. you can make better scene selections if you cut out the good scenes and cut what you use from those. Is that how alot of people work? Scroll and cut? Or does most of it have to already be in your head?

mittoh! likes this.
  10. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

This is what i'd like to know as ive never really pre-decided on scenes to use until my latest project. Up until like a week ago i would take episodes and make up the story as i went along, leading to some periods where id have to give up because id overincluded some parts or because i hadnt thought forward in terms of transitioning from place to place. My assumption from seeing others work is that they plan out a basic structure and work around it, but id love to see someone record and annotate the evolution of their timeline through the course of a video's lifetime. @UnluckyArtist prehaps you could do the honours lol. What's your methodology?

11. Shin

sorta relating back to the stuff about watching choreographys

12. UnluckyArtist

UnluckyArtist Member

watching choreographys or dance vids in general can be pretty energizing too. makes me wanna sync with some musics.

Thats a decent idea, like a timeline process beginning to end, otherwise you'd never believe how messy the timeline can be. Now usually I just work around a basic plan I had in mind and half the editing ends up being something I decided to do in the moment.

13. Sean.PNG

Sean.PNG New Member

There's a couple things i look for before i start a video, but to me it doesn't matter if i find a song first and think of an anime or know an anime i want to use and brainstorm a song. from there i think about whether there is an overall concept that makes the song fit the anime and vice versa.
    and then the most important part for me, i think of the pareto scene ( I have no idea how to spell that word, ask Shin). Basically that means is there ONE scene, one line in the song and one scene in the anime that when put together, can sell the entire concept im going for in one take. Basically if i can think of one really good scene i start with that, cus if that doesnt end up looking right there's no point in finishing the video.
    then i just branch out from there, what do i need to build up to that scene and what happens afterwards.
    Sorry if i ended up getting longwinded there and I know its not a strategy that everyone has to do but Shin did say to get pretentious so blame him XD

EDIT: Yea there's a bunch of helpful channels like every frame a painting out there i binged watched alot of them you can learn quite a bit that way :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  14. Ileia

Ileia WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE Staff Member Calendar Senpai

Yes

15. Shin

An oldie but still a fav

16. Shin

Holy shit that segment at 2:14-2:45 was fucking AWESOME. Especially the switchups around 2:25-2:30 transitioning into those smooth wavy motions. Man I really lack the vocabulary to really explain the things going on in choreography.

17. Iren S.S.

Iren S.S. Guns N' Vincents

What an interesting thread you have here! I'd like to add my five cents, if nobody minds, of course.

YESS, I feel you. Absolutely hate doing prep work for the project, because at some point it all kind of boils down to an automated process of just cutting and sorting. Although that also gives you some time to muse over the source without getting distracted by the music and your desire to synch it here and there, it is still exchausting :/
    May sound odd, but several years ago all I did was to throw entire episodes on the timeline and then run through them searching for the next scenes I wanted to use and then cut and play the thing right on the spot :D With the later vids that's not the case, of course, but the first steps could be truly called "intuitive", especially taking into account that my machine did not allow me to work with high-quality footage, let alone prepare them for the editing.

This said, however, I think the more we all do editing the more we start to feel the vital necessity of the pre-production stage. As it's usually said in film industry, if you have done your preparation, then your shoot will be a matter of simply executing the shots you need to edit, leaving you the mental space to focus and get creative on the set. Our case is a little bit harder, since we need to combine 'screenwriting', directing, editing, and all that stuff in one single process, but the pre-production principles still don't change that much.

It is amazing, how editors are capable of coming up with plots and storylines and build all that stuff from a source that is initially limited in that sense to speific characters/settings. I have always deeply respected editors who have taken the path of "story" genre and are able to bend the material to adjust it to their ideas.

On the other hand, my case have always been different. I never plan any plot and information, and what actually struck me in Rider's post is the notion of "sacrificing aesthetics" for the specific result of getting the message/emotion across to the viewers. Aesthetics is the main factor for me in any work (in cinema, however, I tend to like the combination of beauty and cleverly thought-out ideas) and is, in fact, the driving factor of my editing process. How I cut and put the scenes together is guided by that very intuition and the way how music and visuals supplement each other. The desirable result for me is the one that both pleases emotionally and provides a rich ground for personal associations and thoughts.

This used to bother me some time ago, when I first got aquainted with the community of editors. It seemed to me that viewers appreciated videos with clear (or not that clear) plots better than purely aesthetical/associative works, and got very puzzled by that. But it seems that that's not the case anymore. At least now I notice more works made not for the plot but for the feeling. And that's amazing, to be honest.

Rider4Z and mittoh! like this.
  18. EnQuatre

EnQuatre New Member

Oh hey, an editing discussion thread! This is cool!

Oh man, I'm definitely guilty of sinking huge amounts of time into pre-production. In fact, I recognize that I often use prepping footage as an excuse to avoid actual editing for as long as possible... :)

For the project itself I typically decide that I want to work on a series first, and I make that decision before I actually look for a song that fits. Then I do a fair amount of storyboarding and whatnot with pen and paper to try and piece together what I want the big picture of the AMV to look like.

I try to be organized when it comes to sorting clips and whatnot... I include keywords and whatnot when I title clips so that I can search for them more easily in Vegas. It's a lot of effort, but I think it actually helps a ton with finding just the right scene for what you want to do sometimes.

Here's an example of my source footage folder from a Psycho-Pass project I did earlier last year:

upload_2017-1-3_18-13-19.png

It's really tedious initially, but I'm always thankful to have done it once I start editing... It's also a nice way to re-familiarize yourself with the series and prime your memory so that you can bring up a needed scene faster from your footage when it comes to mind! For me it was a really useful and easy, albeit time-intensive, way to immediately improve how I pick scenes to use.

Definitely a little demoralizing though when you realize at the end how much of your prepared footage ended up not getting used AT ALL :p

Imo, I think something that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves is how damn important visual continuity is. I always appreciate it when an AMV has excellent narrative flow--even if it's more of a mood piece or an artsy video. For me, it really just takes it to the next level if the introduction of the various protagonists/antagonists, presentation of the conflict/premise, and the progression of major events all unfolds seamlessly.

19. Iren S.S.

Iren S.S. Guns N' Vincents

Oh wow, it seems you take the process quite seriously :eek: Storyboarding is actually tedious as hell, but in the end you at least have your vid spread before you :D I never do storyboarding for AMVs (partilally because I'm not editing in a story genre) but, man, much respect for you.

I remember trying to include keywords into my footage titles as well, but after some time it became so messy that I had to delete the whole thing and start over again, this time just labelling the footage parts accoring to the episode. That made it so much plainer and easier for me, since I did not have lots of LETTERS AND WORDS jumping around, and all I had to do is actually just remember in which season and in which episodes I have seen the stuff I need.

I FEEL YOU SO BADLY. That was the case with some of my earlier vids, but in the latest works I actually did not even cut any footage before starting to edit. All I did was to take screenshots of every single scene I thought I would need in my vid (this explains how I 'remembered' the parts I needed. I just looked at the image and I recalled what was going in the scene right away). During the editing, I would go over the screenshots and then quickly jump to that moment of the episode, deciding whether I needed it or not. If, after cutting and placing them in the project, they did not fit, I would either delete them right away or keep for some time until I knew for sure I wouldn't need them anymore. So in the end I ended up having clips of exactly those moments I utilized in my work and that saved a LOT of space on my hard drive :)

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Plus, I think the continuity in the 'artsy' videos is equally important as in the narrative ones, if not more important. Because you cannot just jump from place to place and then call it a moody piece. It simply won't work. With the narrative the need for continuity comes naturally, because we want to see a unified storyline and settings that do not have holes or forced feeling ,but in abstract works the need is more subconscious and thus the result is a little bit harder to achieve, in my opinion.

20. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

Making clips outside the NLE... I feel like a scrub now. I just process the whole ep/movie/series beforehand - load the whole thing in my NLE - throw said footage on a timeline named clipping - make clips with the cut tool - move clips to a timeline called clips - cut/paste into actual timeline....

It's how I've always done it from back in the premier 6.0 days...