Question Of The Week#6

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kagacie, Jan 13, 2017.

?

Is it peanut butter jelly time?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2017.
  1. ...

16.7%
  2. Now, freestyle, freestyle, freestyle, freestyle

75.0%
  3. just.. just.. no it is not

8.3%
  1. Kagacie

Kagacie King of procrastinators and potatoes

[​IMG]
    Hi there again!
    Welcome to the Question of the week, for those new to this a quick explanation of how it works.

The QOTW exist out of three parts

- The Question of the week

- Poll results

- The weekly Riddle

Qotw

Every week I ask a different question to the community, these questions could be anything but will mostly be related to amv’s, editing anime, music japan, etc.
    There is also a Topic each month to which the questions are related such a Christmas, Technology, Action videos.

You can simply copy or Quote the question and give your answer. Easy, right?

Poll results

There will also be a weekly poll which will not always be related to the topic, the results of this poll will be shown in the next Qotw

Weekly Riddle

Every week I will present a riddle to the community, the answers to these riddles could be an anime or a character.

If the answer is a character just naming the anime will considered correct but the more specific the better. It will give you higher points.

Correct anime is 5 points

Correct character is 10 points

The user who has it right by the end of the week gets to highlight something of their choice, this can be: a song, a film a AMV, just a random video, or just something you wish to share with the community.

And the user with the most points end of the month gets to choose the theme of next month

Answer will be posted next week!

The goal of this is simply to have people communicate about different topics and meet new people as you are always able to chat with others about new topics every week.

Hope you enjoy this weeks Qotw and have a great day

First off, loved the responses last week, videogames are fun :D

This month the theme is Videogames, As I know many within this community are also gamers, whether you roam the vast lands of Skyrim, wait for your ultimate in Overwatch or plan your steps out in Hitman. Most of have videogames as a secondary hobby so let us dedicate this month to this!

[​IMG]
    The Question is: what do you think about anime that take place in a videogame world or are heavily inspired by one?

With anime such as SAO and Log horizon, there has been a big rise in anime that take place in a “videogame” like world or are inspired by them, while some hit their mark perfectly others completely miss it.
    What is your opinion on anime like that, do you think they really capture the feeling of what a game is? Or do they just go for the basic tropes and hope people like it because videogames.

Poll results:

Starting this week, you are allowed to ask for addition poll options.

Last week’s poll question was: should science create humans with animal treats?
    THE RESULTS AREEE:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Weekly Riddle(Character):

Last weeks answer waassss: Ika musume
    [​IMG]
    this weeks riddle is:

In this game that we play, You are my prey, No hiding from me, Through the tiniest gap I will see.

[​IMG]

2. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

Its fine as long the story is good

3. Liquified

Liquified New Member

this weeks riddle is:

In this game that we play, You are my prey, No hiding from me, Through the tiniest gap I will see.

- I would quess...
    Deus Ex Machina from Mirrai Nikki

4. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

[​IMG]
    thank you for this
    thank you so much
    its art

What is your opinion on anime like that, do you think they really capture the feeling of what a game is? Or do they just go for the basic tropes and hope people like it because videogames.

Personally i find the whole idea tiresome, Im not a huge fan of the concept that people would be locked in a game and not decide to spend their time figuring out exploits, bugs and cheats (which would probably make for an interesting story), because i dont really see how people would want to be told what to do a-la SAO. Theres probably plenty of reasons why this is a terrible misconception i have (ive not seen any of the more recent vidya anime) but unless a show tries to do something clever with the videogame situation and itself then in all honesty I'm not gonna watch it.

But, there have some been some really good Gems to come out of this trend recently. Log horizon is one of my favourite shows of all time thanks to its great focus on economy, politics, social behaviour and the like. Its a clever show that uses its cast to the full and is full of a load of stuff that takes a few rewatches to take full appreciation of, such as how they depict the population, which is full of a load of IRL weebs and gamers. Digibro made a great video on this.
    Although its not set in a video game as such, it probably follows the trend, GATE is an absolutely fantastic look at how modern people take a look at fantasy world. Mainly by shredding everything to pieces with tanks and machine guns.

Could it be yuno gasai and her 'prey' yuki?
    [​IMG]

5. WolfandSerpent

WolfandSerpent Queen of Plushies

Hmm well for me, the only video game based anime I have really enjoyed was Overlord. No dumb harems (looking at you Log Horizon, your second season just became unbearable with all the love triangles) and a protagonist who was overpowered, but actually had good reason to be, being that he was the ruler of a strong guild and at the end of the game itself in terms of levels. It also managed to encorporate drama and action, but without any overhanging emo-ness and depression that came with things like SAO or Grimgar. The comedy was great too and I actually cared about the characters as a whole, even if they were technically the bad guys of the story itself. I thought the game mechanics it brought into play were much more realistic to an actual MMORPG, even more so than Log Horizon (which was a step above SAO in that aspect), with proper restrictions and penalties for magic etc. Also, being a guild leader looks hard...

For non-fantasy based game anime, Btooom! is my number one. Just humans trying to survive on an island and not be blown up by insane, twisted psychos/be forced to blow up people they have come to know and love. Good example of a FPS type game being brought to life with good drama and action and no overly lingering feelings (looking again at you, SAO).
    Aww yeah, got it right
    [​IMG]

Kagacie and mittoh! like this.
  6. Axel

Axel Super High School Level Bad Luck

What do you think about anime that take place in a videogame world or are heavily inspired by one?

I like them as long as the story is good,even tho they seem to only focus on rpgs and mmos most of the time,i would like too see more about other kind of games.
    If i had to pick a favorite for an anime based or inspired by videogames i think Grimgar would be my pick,i love that show xD.

7. meleechampion

meleechampion Instinct Lv. 32

that squid girl is wearing an old school (but not classic era) dolphins helmet
    [​IMG]
    that anime girl with the game cube controller is playing super smash brothers melee and im sure of it because her screen although blurred is on final destination (the only approved battle ground for true aficionados of the game) I am sure of it

is this post for me? what was the question?

8. Kagacie

Kagacie King of procrastinators and potatoes

[​IMG]
    This post was made especially for you.
    You have answered the true question of this post "can you get the reference"

9. TheAceRailgun

TheAceRailgun Conlangery person

I really enjoy these types of Anime, and some of them do just follow tropes, but some of them stick out as well,The first dot hack series was the one to really get me into the trapped in a video game/Virtual reality anime. It had had such a nice sense of mystery which I think really made it feel like a video game, where as SAO was just kinda survival gamey, and followed a lot of tropes. I have yet to watch Log Horizon though, so hopefully that will be a bit different than SAO or .hack// and other shows that I may not have mentioned.

10. To be honest the only anime about being in a video game Ive seen is SAO. It was okay. It wasn't my favorite show for sure. I did end up buying the first season, though vastly over priced... thanks aniplex. However the only reason I bought it was because I heard a song that would be perfect for a SAO amv and I wanted to make it. So far my opinion is kind of meh on them I don't hate them but I probably would watch something else first. Might watch it if it's on Netflix or Crunchyroll and I have nothing better to watch. But I probably won't go out of my way to watch it.