Question of the week #9 Long Distance Friendshipppss

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kagacie, Apr 23, 2017.

?

How long do you think it will take before we have another world war?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2017.
  1. we already in it mate

8.3%
  2. as soon as they press the big red buttons

41.7%
  3. i'll be dead before that even happens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 weeks I give it max 2 weeks

16.7%
  5. PLEASE NUKE MY COUNTRY FIRST

33.3%
  1. Kagacie

Kagacie King of procrastinators and potatoes

[​IMG]

Hi there again!
    Welcome back to the Question of the week,
    It’s finally back ._. main reason for it being gone longer than intended was me randomly getting a new job which takes up over 13 hours of my day. Finally used to it now so this is back properly AND WITHOUT MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF TEXT, NOW ONTO THE ACTUAL QOTW
    ==============================================================================
    This month the theme is Traveling,
    Editing, anime games everything is global and connected. We all travel for our hobbies so let us dedicate this month to the art of traveling

[​IMG]

The Question is:

Have you ever traveled somewhere far just to meet up with another editor?

We all know editors from around the globe but how many of you have actually taken the step to meet another editor. I know I have and one of them became my best friends.

So tell me have you ever done that?

Poll results:

Last week’s poll question was: Are you ready for AMV roulette
    THE RESULTS AREEE: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last week answer to the riddle Saya Kisaragi

[​IMG]

Riddle

I wear glasses in all my classes

I don't need a stool because I'm just to cool

I stay humble even against a bumble

At first glance you would not think I could dance

Highlight

As there are no winner from last week have this image instead
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IdiAlex

IdiAlex The Song God

I only met some russian ones, but I hope someday I'll meet VideoBeats and Joskua.
    To your question:
    How long do you think it will take before we have another world war?
    Does it really affect friendship? Friend is friend no matter if there's war or not.

Joskua likes this.
  3. Niotex

Niotex Administrator Staff Member

Been across most of Europe and the US to meet up with editors. I've met most of the "old guard" on here in person, many of whom I consider friends. So yes, I've traveled thousands of miles/km to hang out with people. No regrets.

4. WolfandSerpent

WolfandSerpent Queen of Plushies

Sadly, I have not due to lacking in monies, but I would love to meet all the fun and totally not insane people I know online
    As for the riddle....my bae, Sakamoto?
    [​IMG]

5. Ileia

Ileia WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE Staff Member Calendar Senpai

Met people? That part's easy if you go to cons with a big AMV following. I'd estimate I've met 150 - 200 editors since 2006 when I went to my first con, AWA, where the dinner used to be 80 - 100 people. ACen, Otakon, and Sakura-Con were also really good on that front, lots of editors traveling in. It's interesting finding out how closely their IRL persona fits their online one. Most of the time, I'm pleasantly surprised and find out I was wrong about someone. Ex, someone I thought of as "kind of a dick" turned out to be a nice person whose online posts just get misconstrued because they don't pepper them with emojis. >_>

I've actually moved states to live with other AMV editors (and subsequently moved apartments when appropriate). Since 2007, it's been six different places and over a dozen different editors that I've had as roommates. Kitsuner has been my roommate for 8 years and even moved states with me when the local job market kept failing us both and we needed a change of scenery. I met him in person in 2006, a year after meeting him online, and we've been besties for years after that.

Then you've got the "romantic" angle. Though sometimes it doesn't work out, there are tons of couples who met via the AMV community and are in different relationship phases (long distance dating, "regular" dating, engaged, married, have children together, "we don't like labels", you name it). Me personally, I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary with meleechampion, who I met in 2008 but I've been dating since 2013. Because of how common it was for AMV editors to couple up, the Org even had a "relationship forum" one year as an April Fool's joke and many people took it seriously.

It can be a mixed bag, though. Some people are better in small doses. Oftentimes, you find someone is not a good person to spend extended periods of time with/have as a roommate (and sometimes you learn some people are reeeeally fucked up). People behave differently when you're having fun at a con than they do during mundane everyday life, so basically just don't make any split-second decisions during post-con depression and decide to move somewhere with them. D:

That being said, I've forged so many meaningful, lasting friendships that I would not trade for anything. Most of my closest friends I met through AMVing and, even though many of them are no longer interested in the hobby, they are still my closest friends. I generally encourage editors to try to talk to one another and hang out because you never know who you might click with on a deeper level. <3

Voice From Moon and IdiAlex like this.
  6. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

"Have you ever traveled somewhere far just to meet up with another editor?"
    Yes, I have went to a few cons to see editors. Good times~

7. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

Have you ever traveled somewhere far just to meet up with another editor?
    I havent sadly. I would like to in the future though when i can actually afford traveling to distant places :p
    From what ive heard from other people it seems like traveling to anime conventions to meet up with people and stuff is pretty fun!

8. Dr. Derpface

Dr. Derpface Make AMV's Great Again Staff Member

If 1200 miles counts as "far", then yeah. NDK2016, met up with a buncha awesome people and longtime friend, ZephyrStar. Awesome times were had, new friends made. 10/10 would sit in a metal tube at 40,000 feet for 3 hours all over again.

IdiAlex and Kagacie like this.
  9. Ive never traveled anywhere to meet another editor. I couldn't afford it... I barely can afford to take a weekend off a year for NDK unfortunately. Probably the closest I've come to traveling to meet another editor would be voice chatting with people on discord, and that doesn't involve any traveling at all.

10. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

not yet

IdiAlex likes this.
  11. Dr. Derpface

Dr. Derpface Make AMV's Great Again Staff Member

But ya gotta admit, meeting up with the rest of us crazies is worth it. =P

12. Yeah NDKs pretty fun. I don't really have to travel for it as its in state but hanging out with people who come is fun. Usually a good time.

13. Joskua

Joskua Taco Queen Staff Member Queen of Tacos

One of my main goals for when I have a job and start making money is being able to travel and meet up editors!
    The easiest (and my first step ofc!) would be going to USA, NDK will be the first one, and then AX, AWA and maybe Sakura-con or Anime Boston :)

I'd love to meet up european folks too! I suppose JE would be a choice because it seems to attract the most people but it would depend on what's the most popular convention by that moment.

14. Enigmo

Enigmo Member

Uh nah I haven't. Not yet, at least. But in the coming few months I'm taking a journey to the southern-most parts of England to hunt down blabbler.

ZoroIttoryu, Mally and IdiAlex like this.
  15. Mally

Mally New Member

I travelled to Japan on holiday and a editor from america got a job in Japan and had been working a few months prior to that, so we managed to kinda just meet for the first time and it was the chillest. Especially with the fact that we have never really skyped much either. Love how AMVs bring people together.

I hope to go to Japan Expo one day and travel to america to see what the AMV scene is saying there~