Vegas Issue? File could not be created.

Discussion in 'Editing Help' started by Kazu, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

Eyy beautiful people! As the title says, I'm having an issue with my Vegas. It happened a few days ago and I'm desperately looking for a solution *sighs* Whenever I try to save (or save as) a small window pops out with this information
    [​IMG]
    When I click ok the actual *.veg file disappears (I guess it completely removes itself) and only backup remains. Which is so frustrating.. I tried to google but things that were suggested did not work. Besides mostly it said about rendering file, not saving. I've already rebooted my system, fully reinstalled Vegas, scanned viruses, renamed the file and save in different places, checked C disk for errors. Simply nothing works and I'm annoyed by this.

Day when it happened I installed unofficial Facebook messenger for desktop. Do you think this could cause the problem or it's just a coincidence? Even though my friend installed before me and it seems like he has no issues with his programs. Maybe it is a coincidence as I can't remember doing anything else than this. But that's the only reason I can come up with... It just happened >_<

Has anyone experienced this problem before and has any solutions or ideas for me to try out? I would appreciate any help in the end as the rest of my projects are affected and I can't save them anymore >_<
    Thank you in advance! x

2. AngelDragoon

AngelDragoon Lurker Extraordinaire

Have you tried running a system restore to a point before you installed the messenger? It's possible something is interfering with vegas's saving system, but just uninstalling the program won't get rid of it entirely. Also, which unofficial messenger did you install? There might be some answers lying around on the internet about its programming that might not otherwise be obvious.

3. Ploxerdon

Ploxerdon I have returned

Alright, get some kind of USB stick or external hard disk and try saving on there. If that works your hard disk is probably done for.

4. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

I haven't tried system restore, nor like I thought about this.. And I got it from this page
    It doesn't seem like I have issues with anything else, it's just vegas *sighs* So I wonder if it's the program became faulty itself.. I will try to install another version of it and see if the problem stays the same.

I have two separate external hard-drives and tried saving using them. Did not work :/ the same tried with my USB stick.

5. Ploxerdon

Dang, Try to run another version like 13 or something. Version 9 used to have a lot of errors for me too back in the day. If that doesn't work I would personally just do a clean re-install of windows or whatever OS you run as some critical files probably got damaged badtime. But I'm not an IT guy, so don't rush the formatting hardrive part and wait for some other answers.

6. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

I always liked lower Vegas versions ( 8 & 9 are the best for me so far). Not like I ever had serious issues with them before. I simply dislike how the newest loos like :S I will go for 10th now and see if it helps. I did think of completely re-installing my Windows but daaaamn it's only Vegas that has this issue >_< *hopes other version will work*

7. Ploxerdon

Well, I started with 8 (or 9?) myself, and moved onto 13 after a while and honestly they just feel the same for me. Recently switched to Premiere which is even better imo once you get used to it. But yeah, to each their own preference. I mean, if installing a shady program managed to damage your Vegas (to the point were other versions won't work either) your PC is probably messed up anyway, so better off doing a clean re-install just to be safe if that is the case. But first you need to figure out if that truely is the case.

8. Enjo

Enjo New Member

Sounds like a permission problem to me, try running Vegas as admin and see if that changes anything. Since you said you have a couple of external and usb stick which also didn't work I doubt it could be from directory permissions but you could check if you have full write access to the folders.

Edit: tried it myself by saving to a folder with no permissions but vegas 14 just tells me I have no permission to save it there and asks to save it in the user folder instead so I guess it's not that but you could try it since I'm not sure if 9 has that check before saving

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

To clarify, your original saved project is gone and you only have the backups correct? Also, is this error showing up when you are trying to render out your project as a video file?

10. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

Still the same *sighs* Also, I just tried another version of Vegas and it's the same, unfortunately. It's funny that the rest of the programs work well and doesn't seem like were damaged but Vegas x_x So I assume this program became faulty..

Whenever I make a new project and try to save it, that window pops out and doesn't allow me to save. However, when I open a saved project before and try to save it once again, the window pops-out, I click OK and the *.veg file disappears completely from my folder (or wherever I had saved it) but leaves only backup file. It only happens when I try to save the file. I can render though in any format. It's just about saving the file..

11. Replay

Assuming that the harddrive or permissions is not the cause. It looks like some people recommend starting a new project, add some footage to the timeline, then bring up task manager and end the process for vegas. Then open re-open vegas and should get a dialog box stating if you want to restore autosaved project, click yes. Once loaded, try saving it as a new project file to see if it lets you

12. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

It did not work with a new project. I followed the steps and when I opened Vegas it was all blank (I mean no imported footage was found) I guess it didn't auto-save (or should a certain amount of time to pass for it to auto-save?) I know that in AE you can set how often you want your project to auto-save. Not sure if Vegas has same feature.. As far as I know it doesn't.. From my experience it always auto-saved work I did hour ago for an example but never the most recent one.

As for the already saved projects - it worked. But again, i can't use this way all the time, right? I mean, it won't completely save my work but just some bits of it. As from my experience it never auto-saved everything or for example what I did a few seconds ago

13. Replay

hmmmn. I would also make sure your anti-virus or firewalls are turned off to see if they are interfering. Even check your user account control settings located in user accounts section of control panel

14. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

Alrights, seems like it works now? What I did is I went to my Programs & Files to remove he latest Vegas that I installed and I noticed that I have an extra anti-virus installed called Bytefence. (??? I assume it installed together with that messenger >_< ) I got rid of it. I will give a little of time to see if Vegas works properly. Therefore, I will update the post by the end of the week.. Hopefully it was because of that anti-virus.
    On the other hand, thank you so much for your help guys! Much appreciated!
    [​IMG]

AngelDragoon likes this.
  15. Replay

You are welcome ^^

Kazu likes this.