What Got You Into Editing AMVs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheAceRailgun, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheAceRailgun

TheAceRailgun Conlangery person

So as the title says, I want to know what got everyone here into editing AMVs, for me I went to the AMV contest at Nan Desu Kan in 2010, which was one of my first big steps into the world of AMVs. I think the very first AMV I ever watched was Qwaqa's Paper Heart AMV, which I also got to see at the contest on the big screen.

I've always loved motion and music though, and just enjoyed seeing the effect of putting video clips together with music to see what I could make. I started editing with iMovie, and then later got into Premier Pro, Final cut and other NLEs.

2. Celia Phantomhive

Celia Phantomhive The Yaoi Wizard Staff Member Queen of Yaoi

Mine was actually.... looking up Gil x Oz Pandora Hearts clips on Youtube one day LOL I came across the editor ebily and fell in love with her AMVs. D:
    After that I started making videos of my own and met a few other editors. The first editor I met is actually still my best friend LOL
    Having someone editing with me along the way is probably the biggest reason I stuck with editing for so long. Then meeting all of you guys and going to cons sealed it. Friends make the hobby tbh.

3. Replay

Replay Administrator Staff Member

Around 2003/2004, I was on a random anime site and came across my first amvs. From then I was hooked and started to make them, etc

4. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

I used to search dbz videos on yt
    every 2 videos of dbz fights were amvs lol

5. Kazu

Kazu Pink Power

I've seen Sailor Moon on TV one day and instantly became a fan. The same year I got Internet (ahh the first days of Internet ;w;) So obviously I started looking for random SM stuff and so on. I came across Sailor Moon fan-pages, which I got into. I decided to start my own page. So technically I was really into web page creating/designing. After couple of years one of my friends sent her made Sailor Moon AMV (made out of gifs and just pictures xD) I was amazed and wanted to try it myself. I did my first video out of gifs (obviously using transformations and attacks). That friend went quite harsh on me then saying it's bad and I can't use only transformations and attacks because it won't be called as AMV?? I cried. :_; Guess couldn't accept her harsh critique back then. But I didn't want to give up that easily. So I tried getting actual clips and edit. Daaaaamn movie maker ;w; I remember struggling disabling audio on actual clips. But I made it. Since then I kind of dropped designing pages and continued improving/practicing with video editing. Few years later here I am :D Happily continuing this ^^

Celia Phantomhive likes this.
  6. Sonicfreak

Sonicfreak Secretly a normie

Once upon a time I had a youtube channel together with my nephew, we created small and horrible voice over videos of whatever we watched. (Even voice overs of video which were already a voice over) But I wasn't so much intrigued about the voice recordings, but more about the editing to sync the video with the recordings.
    So after we stopped creating videos I decided to start a channel on my own, and you guessed it I started with creating sonic edits. But whenever I joined a sonic MEP (yes those are a thing), there was always at least one person insisting that he or she should be allowed to use these odd cartoon shows. Shortly afterwards I got introduced to anime by fellow sonic editors and not long after I transitioned from sonic to anime. Discovering how big and diverse the anime editing scene was compared to the sonic editors was quite a shock. And while sonic editing died quite a bit these last few years, anime seems to be going strong so I'm still active with that.

7. meleechampion

meleechampion Instinct Lv. 32

I didn't really pay them much attention when a friend showed me some FMA/Weird Al shit in grade school.

...but then I went to an anime convention. This was 2005. Line out the door and super long outside. People in line happily waiting having tons of fun. But I had no idea. Only remember one from that day though. Fucking hardcore metal in best action amv (this one) got the crowd so hype. I knew I wanted in. I had to try.

so I was like "ay you know that character would be like this guy in the song and then the other guy would be that one" and then I got posted my proud WMV creation on the org and people were super harsh but that only made me want to get better. A vicious cycle.

8. ZephyrStar

ZephyrStar Moderator Staff Member

I joined amv.org's IRC channel back in the early 2000's and was just a lurker for a few years. The first AMVs I saw were probably things like Tainted Doughnuts or Euphoria, but they made me think "wow, there are some good editors in this hobby." I didn't really get into editing myself until 2004ish, but been here ever since. Met all my best friends in this community and by going to cons!

Edit: I guess a really defining moment though would have been going to AWA in 2006 and meeting everyone and seeing the contest. I was really blown away by the contest.

9. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

Oddly, Kazu's start is similar to mine (though I didn't start making gif videos till much later in my career) I had internet back in the mid 90s and was looking up sailor moon fan pages, sonic the hedgehog fan pages (I was a regular in the #sonic IRC fan channel on efnet back in the day, we had fun making fun of the nerds in the #sailormoon channel on dalnet) and downloading videos and things and thats where I saw my first amvs. Mainly videos of attack animations and transformation animations put to music from the dub like She's Got the Power. I later found out about file sharing programs like Morpheus and later Kazaa and emule and what not and downloaded videos that way too and thats when I saw a lot of stuff by Atomx, Jesmaster, Brad Demoss, and others from back in the 90s early 2000s. I got a capture card when I went to college (a WinTV so I could watch TV on my PC at school) and that's when I was able to start making videos (so I spent about 8 years watching videos before I could make them) and it was all downhill from there. Oddly, I didn't find out about the org until the summer of 2003 when a friend at the gaming club on campus told me about it and then I didnt' find out about the IRC channel till I was told about it at Anime Central in 2005 and joined that.

10. WolfandSerpent

WolfandSerpent Queen of Plushies

Mine started out because a friend made live action fandom videos, with stuff like Grey's Anatomy, Doctor Who etc, and I thought that was pretty cool. Gradually youtube started showing AMVs in my reccomended sections and I decided that was what I wanted to do (since wasn't really an avid fan of TV shows so didn't want to edit those). That and I watched anime using youtube back in the day, with episodes split into three parts as youtube didn't allow huge time uploads yet, and I didn't have the money to buy DVDs as they were terribly priced and pretty rare to find when I was younger, so of course that meant more AMVs turned up in reccomended. Been a lone editor for years (most people I knew either didn't watch anime or viewed AMVs as music taped onto episodes of stuff that ruined the watching experience) until joined some random (awful) studios via youtube, ended up with my current (awesome) studio, found the org and the rest is history.

11. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

I got into amvs pretty quickly after buying myself a tiny smartphone in like 2012. Resolution cant have been higher than 480p. I was all into games at the time even though i could hardly play them with no console or useful computer, so i watched a lot of lets plays stuff, eventually finding fragmovies after a months. I thought they were the coolest things, but they all looked the same after a few videos. Moved onto MLG videos just after, they were ok but a bit dumb, I was still looking for that cool video editing i knew must be out there. Found the source filmmaker crowd and that was cool, but once again they took quite a long time to put things out and rarely did anything. Most of them were and are concerned with making money by creating totally original stories ect. I played with the idea of making things but it was way beyond my level at the time. Very shortly after these quick phases I stumbled across my first AMV. I thank god it was good, i see a lot of kids seem to get into awful clickbait amv's these days. The video in question was KP's "Teenagersss!". I fell in love with the medium quite quickly after that. Spent a lot of time trying to find good amvs, as at the time i had no idea about anything in the community. bestamv's became a staple of my afterschools for a while, as id go through his channel watching each of them. Found a few other channels that seemed to be in a sort of community, off the top of my head being shorisquared, danparenthesis (his videos being half the reason i watched the entirety of one piece during 2014), pieandbeer, cenit and others who i cant remember, for the sake of a namedrop. I started watching anime because of amvs but its hard to recall what really started it off. I believe to the best of my memories that my first anime was mirai nikki, caused by my impression with this video here (bestamvs link because thats what i saw it on):

and shortly after i would watch black lagoon, hellsing, and soul eater (thanks to another certain editor's videos), as well as eventually getting a crunchroll app and watching even more stuff. For a bit of hilarious trivia, i actually tried watching anime episodes on youtube for a while. I didnt really comprehend anime at the time. A few months passed and I think it was 2013 when suddenly this channel called vermillionAMV's popped up. That probably tipped me off to the huge swathes of videos that were around, as everyday there were tons more videos for me to watch, and I suddenly realised that there were more people making these than i realised. It was fantastic. For the next year or two I religiously watched vermillion's uploads, going to the original creator if i liked their work ect. Fast forward to like June 2015 i guess. I joined a clan for this game called world of tanks. Fun game, I'd played it since i was like 11 because it was one of the few games i could run, but this clan in particular was the official EU clan for the anime Girls Und Panzer. I'd seen and enjoyed the anime and so it seemed like a good solution. I didnt get on great with some of the people there but they did teach me the ways of the modern anime viewer, f.e torrents and so on. Around this time I started taking a look at the fabled org, which I had kinda discovered through videos from something called 'amv roulette'. Id found some really cool editors from that. One of them being this guy called ploxerdon lmao. I happened to mention this to the clan leader, which happened to be sanya aka nya-chan productions, one of the admins on the org. Talk about a lucky break lol. He showed me the ropes to the site, encouraged me (even though i was utter trash at the time), told me a few of the basics, and gave me the right mindset for editing. Idk if hes cool with me anymore but i really hope he sees my improvement lol. And thats how i got into editing. Its been less than a year and a few things happened since then, such as joining one of those random youtube 'studios', meeting this chap ploxerdon by accident who was my only help for like the last few months, leaving aforementioned clan and finally joining here. My hobby seems to be looking up now hehe.
    I do wish id started a year later than i did though, i have my old secondary school friends who know and are subscribed who see everything i do and its always uncomfortable having them laugh at it, rip

12. machina21

machina21 Lakers 4 lyfe

Anime Expo 2008 was where I first saw "Go the Distance". I was so impressed by it I asked a girl next to me if the contest had started, "No, these are the videos that didn't make it in". What? How could something so awesome not make it in? So I watched the rest of the contest and something sort of popped in my head: "Maybe I should try this". So a few days after the con was over I went home, burned some of my dvd's and started editing.

13. shorisquared

shorisquared Best Waifu

Well, the first time I was ever exposed to AMVs was when I found Koopiskeva's "Skittles" on the internet. It was a really fun video and I would watch it often. But I didn't really do much of anything with AMVs at that time besides watch Skittles. Years later, when I started my freshman year at college, I attended my first anime convention. It was a small one run by the university, but I was still excited nonetheless. It was there that I had found out about AMV contests. One of the members of our school's anime club had made some AMVs and submitted them to the contest. This was one of the videos he had submitted and won with:

After watching the contest, I was really inspired to make AMVs of my own. It was also good timing because I had just gotten my own laptop for college and I was able to access more anime than ever before. So I fired up the free editing software my Macbook came with, iMovie, and started working on some. This was the AMV that was created, which was heavily inspired by the other rap battle I had watched:

And I've been editing ever since.

14. Ploxerdon

Ploxerdon I have returned

Used to do CoD montages before going to my first anime convention, and accidentally walked into the amv competition as I had nothing to do, just entered a random line and witnessed the AMV compo.

So yeah, watched those smexy videos, which instantly made me want to do a Rosario + Vampire AMV as that was my favorite anime at that point, and I did so a few months later. Yay!
    Ofcourse, my editting skills at that time were limited as it was around November-December 2011 which is a long while ago.
    So yay, this was the result:

15. PieandBeer

PieandBeer the most important meal of the day

TheAceRailgun likes this.
  16. ailynerie

ailynerie "El Angie"

Started editing back in summer of 2006, bored and with absolutely nothing to do, I'd steal my brother's desktop to search up online things related to the cartoons I watched at the time, which was how I came across YouTube. After a day of surfing YouTube and videos related to the cartoons I watched within the existing community at the time, I came across an editing tournament, seeing the dynamic behind it, I decided I would like to try to join as well. Eventually I started downloading songs and footage using shit like limewire and ares and putting them together using windows movie maker and submitting that onto the contests. Started improving and creating my own natural pace by seeing what everyone did around me and trying to adapt to that in my own way, never really sat down to watch tutorials, thus why at NDK two years ago I surprised everyone by asking "what are you doing?" when my fellow IC competitor was using Vegas' trimmer. Good times.

17. Tigrin

Tigrin Member

When I was a kid I'd hear songs and imagine movies or shows I liked to the songs, but it never occurred to me to make videos until one of my friends from high school showed me some AMVs she'd seen at Anime Expo. A few years later I was really into Kingdom Hearts and I used to spend a lot of time on a website called kh-vids. I saw some of the user-created videos on there that were taking footage from the games and pairing it up with songs. I thought that was amazing so I decided to do it myself, though all I had were those low res videos and iMovie. I learned how to use Premiere later after using it in school to put together my senior film. I got into submitting videos to contests a few years later when I went to Yaoi Con. The experience of seeing my videos with an audience left a big impression on me.

18. King Redeem

King Redeem Member

back in 2014 i was new to cons but i saw there was an AMV contest at SabotenCon, so i decided to give it a try.

I REALLY got into it after going to the AX AMV contest in 2015. plus i met some of the community and you guys are cool so now im stuck here

19. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

I wanted to start editing the first time I ever saw an AMV. It was in 2002 and it was a Linkin Ball Z video my friend showed me burned to a CD. I've yet to make a Linkin Ball Z video myself tho.

20. Shin

Shin Senpai Staff Member Calendar Senpai

Depression and the need for some kind of creative outlet that would let me forget about the slow trudge through mud called life.