Your Favorite Anime

Discussion in 'Anime/Manga Discussion' started by TheAceRailgun, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheAceRailgun

TheAceRailgun Conlangery person

What are your favorite Anime? It could be your favorite genre, your top 3 anime, or top 10+ list them here. It could also be your favorite anime to edit with.

My favorite genre is either Shojou or Supernatural/Fantasy, and my favorite 3 anime are

Dantalian no Shoka

Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)

Death Parade

These are just my top 3 in general, I may do genre specific later, but I figured this was enough to get started.

2. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

Well, I posted in the old school thread already... I made a top 25 list for my YT channel and I have about 100 runner ups after that... so yeah...

Though to actually list a show... how about... Hatsu Inu? I mean... it IS only the Single Best Love Story of All Time (ALL TIME) and something that you should most definitely watch with the ones you love the most!

3. Ainuva

Ainuva New Member

all of the sports stuff :D cause more men = more fangirling for me ;)

TheAceRailgun likes this.
  4. Farm

Farm Member

[​IMG]

Monster

5. machina21

machina21 Lakers 4 lyfe

In no particular order:

Cowboy Bebop
    [​IMG]

A no brainer pick but you already know why.

Evangelion
    [​IMG]
    Another no brainer pick but why the hell not. I'm not sure if its good that I deeply identify with Shinji as a character.

Big O
    [​IMG]

Sometimes it's hard to figure out why Big O works as well as it does. You would think the combination of film noir, giant robots, androids and a eclectic score would be a mess. Instead it comes together for a pretty memorable anime. That second season is a let down though.

Welcome to the NHK
    [​IMG]
    For me, Welcome to the NHK hits a bit too close to home. I can't think of another show that shows the frustration that comes from living in way where you're not really living life as much as stumbling through it, aimlessly and hopelessly. That said, as dark as the show can get, it does manage to eek out a small message of hope at the end.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
    [​IMG]
    The mad genius that is Kunihiko Ikuhara is not to be trifled with. There aren't enough words to describe how great Utena is ( and how confusing it can be first time viewers). But if you're willing to make the commitment to watch and really pay attention, the payoff is more than worth it. Also, the movie is stupidly gorgeous and Nanami is the best character, its facts.

6. ZoroIttoryu

ZoroIttoryu Pirate Hunter

My favorite genre is probably shounen as you can tell from my top 5 list

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    [​IMG]

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    [​IMG]

Fate/Zero
    [​IMG]

Steins;Gate
    [​IMG]

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    [​IMG]

Pikapwn likes this.
  7. shorisquared

shorisquared Best Waifu

8. exkcal

exkcal Wielder of Windows Movie Maker

#1 Neon Genesis Evangelion
    #2 Berserk
    #3 Steins;Gate

all other anime is trash.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

9. TheAceRailgun

TheAceRailgun Conlangery person

I still need to finish this, but It's a fantastic show

10. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

Ah goddamn favourite anime, this is both a fun and tourmenting topic for me because i dont really have a scale of enjoyment. These are what are currently on my mind.
    Ill go with
    1) JORMUNGAND
    [​IMG]

My god do i love jourmungand. In all honesty its not really an amazing show if you strip it down. There are some plot points, lack of accuracy and a hell of a lot of creative freedom but it comes together to really make a fantastic epic of a story. It is a 24 ep show with two separate 12 ep seasons, telling the story of the arms dealer koko and her new child soldier bodyguard, Jonathan. Koko and her detail of bodyguards are really a fantastic set of characters which all get their own little arcs on who they are and why they joined koko to become mercanaries. Theres an overarching plot that comes mostly in the second season that isnt great but the ride is really fantastic. A war junkie's wet dream.
    2) YOUJO SENKI
    [​IMG]
    Watch it.
    3) ONE PIECE
    [​IMG]
    Well, I think everything that can be said about this show has been said so far honestly. For all the hate it gets, the long nature of the series meant that when i marathoned it night after night i could stick a ton of emotions and information under my belt and when it eventually paid off it was the most emotional thing i had experienced. Everything builds up in the background, such as the character's skills, the information, tools, crewmates and allies they make. At this point, the final arc is certain to be the most epic battle seen in any medium considering that all the original author has to do is bring back every single of the hundreds of allies they have formed and have them in place of the many goons seen in this video.

11. PieandBeer

PieandBeer the most important meal of the day

FLCL because it's perfect
    [​IMG]

Kyousougiga because Koto is perfect
    [​IMG]

and Kaiba because I have a lot of feelings right now ok
    [​IMG]

12. King Redeem

King Redeem Member

i became an shameless Chica Umino fangirl after H&C. still my favorite.
    [​IMG]

13. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

My favorite anime is a no brainer.
    [​IMG]

There are a handful of older animes that I hold great respect and admiration for that I don't necessarily watch over and over but have earned my eternal loyalty:
    2. One Piece
    3. Fullmetal Alchemist / Brotherhood
    4. Kimi ni Todoke
    5. Cowboy Bebop
    6. Host Club

And then there is my list of current shows I enjoy and have edited to:
    7. Noragami
    8. One Punch Man
    9. Blue Exorcist
    10. Future Diary
    11. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
    12. Haikyuu (haven't edited to this but it's sure fun)

Typically the shows I get into depend on whether the characters are interesting or not, and a great deal of that depends on the animation. Example: I loved Sailor Moon as a kid, but I have very little interest in Sailor Moon Crystal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If I don't develop an emotional attachment to the characters I'll likely lose interest. It doesn't matter so much what genre it is.

14. Pikapwn

Pikapwn New Member

Oh cool, I'm always bugging people about my "Top 6 S-Tier anime"

Pretty similar to ZoroIttoryu's.

[​IMG]

#1 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Shonen series with a great story, animation, and action, but best of all a great cast of fleshed out characters. They way that all characters' individual stories and motivations come together in the end is just so great.

#2 Clannad: After Story

This show had complete control over my emotions ;-; I laughed when it wanted me to laugh, and man did I cry when it wanted me to cry.

#3 Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion

All the genius plans and tricks made the show really fun to watch, but it was Lelouche himself that made me like the show so much. It was like Death Note, but the main character wasn't intended to be pure evil and honestly sticks to his philosophy until the very end, whether it was the right thing to do or not. (Because Nunnally's happiness blah blah blah). Also, the ending was so darn good.

#4 Steins; Gate

Had some really great suspense in it's second half, but what I really like about the show, is that even in the first half when nothing was happening, it was still super fun to watch. I think that was because it had a bunch of fun crazy characters, which made me really invested in the show when things got intense.

#5 Ping Pong the Animation

The characters. The way it tells their stories. The way it starts out as this dark, depressing criticism of competition and then transforms into a classic shonen sports anime to become something much brighter. This show changed my outlook on some things. I could talk for hours about any of the shows I'm listing here, but this one I could just go on and on with. It's also pushing me to not number by "top favorite S-tier" shows because it's hard to rank it compared to the other shows I really love

#6 Hunter X Hunter

Another shonen anime that does everything perfectly, but it was only after the Chimera Ant arc that I counted it as one of my all time favorites. It is in my opinion the most perfectly executed final battle I've seen in anime. Every single movement each character made felt like it mattered and I've never seen tension revved up this high. There's an episode where two characters are just standing in front of each other and mostly thinking to themselves the entire time, but it managed to be more gripping and intense than many other action series or movies I've seen.

I also want to mention Haikyuu. It's like right at the edge of being held up next to these shows, but there's still something it's missing and it hasn't ended yet. Based on the way the last season ended, it might get that something, but I'll have to wait and see. But in spite of that, it's just such an fun shonen show with (again) some great characters.

I think best on most of these short descriptions of why I like the shows, it's obvious that characters are what's most important to me.

ZoroIttoryu likes this.
  15. Ploxerdon

Ploxerdon I have returned

[​IMG]
    #1 Rosario + Vampire

If you know me longer than today this shouldn't be that surprising. It was the anime that got me into anime, so that always makes that anime look better than it is.
    Really liked the whole anime. The ecchi was a bit on the overkill side, but it added to the comedy value of the anime so it was okay imo.
    I mean the show was very entertaining, and in the end that is what anime is made for, to entertain.

[​IMG]
    #2 Re:Zero

I finished this yesterday so watching it recently might make me biased, I know.
    But damn, I won't lie, this show was very good. Liked the characters, liked the story, it was very entertaining and in general it was just so good.
    Too bad the ending was kinda crap, there better be a season 2 lmao.

[​IMG]
    #3 Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's

Yeah I know what you might be thinking, it's Yu-Gi-Oh how can you like that stuff. But honestly, 5D's was very good if you ask me.
    I mean, it had obvious issues. First 64 or so episodes were very good imo, if not the best out of any Yu-Gi-Oh series, but then you got like 50 or even more filler episodes...
    But the parts that were good were very good imo. OST was good, openings and endings were good, characters were very good, and in general it was just very entertaining.

mittoh! likes this.
  16. Enjo

Enjo New Member

Not in any particular order as I hate rating things, especially when it comes to top 5 or whatever but my favorite ones would be
    • Fate Series
    • Gintama
    • Steins;Gate
    • Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
    • Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

17. KonahaANBU

KonahaANBU Lancelot

I am fan of narration style of Monogatari Series. but my favorite one is Rainbow.

18. Pysh

Pysh Member

Overall it would be Inuyasha :).
    In long running it'd be Fairy tail.
    In Comedy One Punch Man.
    In Drama Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.
    Other anime among my favorites are Bleach, Steins; Gate, Deathnote, Byeblade, Barakamon and many more ;).

19. Iren S.S.

Iren S.S. Guns N' Vincents

1. Gurren Lagann will always be #1 for me. Once it touched my heart it never let go <3
    [​IMG] THE FEELS T_______________T

2. Slayers. I just freakin' LOVE Slayers. Have watched each season like 10 times, and I am still not tired of their humor (which can be lame sometimes, but still hilarious) :D
    [​IMG]

After these two absolute favourites come the series that I love almost equally.

The ones I have edited with:
    Mononoke - Utterly beautiful series. And oh that Medicine seller <3
    Samurai Champloo - Simply amazing. So witty and stylish!
    Monogatari Series - I mostly enjoyed it thanks to Kaiki Deishu's appearances, but the aesthetics and style of the show are amazing too!
    Genius Party - this was the first representative of experimental art-house in the realm of anime, and I was really impressed by this. These movies also made me fall in love with Studio 4C.

The ones I just love (and maybe consider editing with)
    Evangelion - I did not watchit in the early stages of my anime 'career'. Instead it happened quite late and thanks to it I was fully able to evaluate what I saw. It impressed me back then and up until now I kinda like Evangelion, even though sometimes I feel it is a bit childish.
    Cowboy Beebop - This is classic. No comments :D
    The Tatami Galaxy - I like how weird and cool the style is and the actual plot along with the characters is super enjoyable!
    Hellsing Ultimate - Alucard is love, alucard is life <3
    Arakawa Under the Bridge - Total madness :D
    Kill la Kill - Super-badass thing!
    FLCL - Simply brilliant.

20. FoxJones

FoxJones the Foxiest

Girls und Panzer

mittoh! likes this.