Your first and your most recent AMV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigrin, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Tigrin

Tigrin Member

After seeing the thread discussing how everyone got started making AMVs, I thought this could be kind of fun? Share the first AMV you ever made (if you still got it up somewhere) and the most recent one you made. I think it's fun to see how people have progressed, as well as what sort of things might have defined someone's editing style from the very beginning.

Here's my first AMV:

I don't know what to say, it's double letterboxed, it has subtitles, the resolution is really low, there's really bad compression, there's lip flap, there's some stray frames and weird syncing. but to be honest I still kind of like it? I think from the beginning I was interested in internal sync, lyric sync, and telling stories about the characters using different parts of the song. I ambitiously was trying to use time remapping and some effects in a program that wasn't really suited for it... but mostly it's a really simple edit and I'm still doing this sort of thing.

actually my She and Her Cat video is more recent by a month, but I made that one in a few days and I uploaded this one months later so I'm cheating. :p I need to finish something new.

Iren S.S. likes this.
  2. mittoh!

mittoh! Guest

Er
    well
    my 'first' amv wasnt really something one could call an amv...

no commentary can excuse this

My most recent one im sad to say wasnt the best i felt i could have achieved, but people seem to enjoy it so hey ho

working on a fantastic video right now but i need to wait for more episodes of stuff to air, rip

Iren S.S. likes this.
  3. shorisquared

shorisquared Best Waifu

My first AMV:

Let's see. I made this one simultaneously as my Gurren video, but released this first. You can see a lot of typical first video things: bad DVD quality ripped anime footage, name watermark, black borders to cover up the bad video quality, still scenes, weird use of effects, obviously sped up footage, etc. I also had never watched Higurashi, but I thought the anime fit the song. But I kind of find the video endearing in a "it's so bad, it's good" kind of way. Also, Mchy has offered me money and/or candy to remake it someday, so that's something.

My current AMV:

Let's see, I think I've gotten a bit better, but I'm still learning. You can see beat and lyric sync throughout this video. I also tried some different effects that turned out alright. Still doing lip sync and trying out comedy, so hopefully it all worked out.

4. Pic4

Pic4 Moderator Staff Member

First AMV (SPOILERS):

I wanted to delete it a lot of times, but couldn't do it only god knows why. It's just full of SPOILERS and bad editing.

Recent one:

Iren S.S. likes this.
  5. Ploxerdon

Ploxerdon I have returned

Welp my first AMV... That would be City.
    The basics were there, Beat Sync, Lyrics Sync... But not gonna lie, technically the video was a mess. But for a first AMV.... It wasn't THAT bad.

As for my last (full) AMV, that would be Heathens.
    Beat Sync and Lyrics sync both are present, but this video was less of a technical mess.
    Also still about vampires, but this time it features gay vampires.
    So yeah, some improvement, but I still got a bunch to learn.

6. Tigrin

Tigrin Member

So far I think I was right in the sense that people's first AMVs are good indications of the sort of interests and style they'll have later on, just vastly improved in the execution! Thanks for sharing. :D

7. WolfandSerpent

WolfandSerpent Queen of Plushies

The oldest AMV I have on youtube isn't my first (those died due to copyright/deleted as were so bad). I don't mind it, if I hadn't decided to use random Darker than Black scenes it could have been a pretty good starting out AMV, I think the sync and flow is okay, but still, not the best. That cringy intro. Also, Windows Movie Maker was the worst. The worst. Had a lot of stuff crash and die in the past, R.I.P. forgotten projects.

My most recent was from last year, during last year's roulette, as I have not had time/motivation to finish anything since XD Terribly short, needs a re-edit, and its not even on my channel yet (only on the AMV Roulette one). But I feel effects wise, timing, sync etc I have improved a lot to what I was. Still have a lot to learn though, despite how long I have been doing this.

8. EnQuatre

EnQuatre New Member

I was super lucky with my first AMV in that I only started editing AFTER discovering the Org and meticulously studying up on editing concepts, how to use Avisynth, Virtualdub as well as after having been exposed to some good AMVs.

I really put a lot into my first video, as it featured one of my all-time favorite series (Fate/Zero) and I really wanted to do it justice. It has a couple of issues, most notably a lack of attention to camera movement, but the mood and sync still hold up for the most part! Most people seem to be eternally embarrassed by their first vids, but I have to say I am pretty proud of mine still. (even made it into the finals at 2015 Sakuracon! :oops:)

As for my most recent:

Iren S.S. likes this.
  9. King Redeem

King Redeem Member

omg this thread is fun

Had no idea how to properly encode video, so I got tons of atrocious artifacts in my source footage. It's crazy how much you can forgive/overlook when you're new. But I can still watch it and enjoy it, so I guess that's good??? Using my favorite genre of music, progressive metal. There were like a couple SMALL INSTANCES of internal sync that I tried so bless my little heart. I DIDNT KNOW WHAT A FADE WAS??? so it's all hard cuts.

Still an absolute diehard fan for prog rock and metal, so it drives my music choices to this day. My newest video was no exception, Steven Wilson lives in that same proggy genre. My natural tendencies for raw edits still lives on, just more refined now.

Iren S.S. likes this.
  10. machina21

machina21 Lakers 4 lyfe

This is a remake of the first AMV I ever did, the original was lost due to copyright strikes on youtube. That aside, the video was done in one sitting and is pretty much a "recap" AMV if you will. I had some experience with Adobe Premiere and this allowed me to really get my feet wet.

My latest AMV is my first attempt at a trailer. I usually dont care too much for movie trailers but this particular one struck a chord with me.

Iren S.S. likes this.
  11. Rider4Z

Rider4Z The Machine

Oh this looks fun, I'll be sure to come back and watch everybody's when I can play volume.

Ok this one technically isn't my first but it's the earliest one I have on record that hasn't been modified, made in 2003.

And I'm going to cheat, I'm not gonna show you my latest video but instead this one made in 2013 (10 years later):

Quality and technique have certainly improved, but emotionally I haven't changed much.

machina21 and Iren S.S. like this.
  12. Iren S.S.

Iren S.S. Guns N' Vincents

Ohohoho, look at this wonderful thread of sha.... I mean glorious past :D So, just as in WolfandSerpent's case,

Before that I made tons of one-day vids of which I was very proud back then. I made a lot of low-quality GMV tributes to FF series that were crappy af. But this one was different. I remember, I had a moment of emotional breakdown, and decided to make yet another FF tribute. I loved the song and wanted to make something warm and cozy, which resulted in 'pouring out my soul' into this vid.

Of course, the crappy and smashed footage (partly downloaded from YT, shame on me), along with the letterboxing, crappy fonts and all that stuff is present. The visuals are a little bit ahead of music because of the old laggy software and machine + YouTube magic. But somehow I still love this vid. I considered remaking it at some point, but the idea got lost among other unfinished projects.

My recent one is...

... something totally different :D Now I spend almost a year on a single vid and, to be honest, envy myself in the past who did not bother to put so much effort into every work :D But I still synch the way I used to in my very first vids (although, no audio-video delays this time, thankfully), and I don't use so many fx and that stuff, as you can see. I think, I'm a slave of raw editing forever :|

13. Enjo

Enjo New Member

Everyone here with decent looking first/early videos and awesome looking recent ones... and here I am with nearly no progress in the last 9 years (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is not my first, but one of my earlier ones, I used to upload to a local Bulgarian video sharing website until around 2011-12 and seems like I've deleted my earliest videos there.
    Totally not one of those crappy Linkin Park with one of the "big 3" anime, watermarks and awful aspect ratio all over the place

And well this isn't my most recent one too but it's the most recently uploaded one. I've got 2 others finished and 1 more nearly finished but can't upload them as they are for IC and contest so gotta wait till results are out.
    Lots of problems with this, lip-flaps, bad flow at lots of parts, inconsistent editing.. well the only part I really liked how it turned out was the first few seconds and after 2:31

14. Kagacie

Kagacie King of procrastinators and potatoes

let's see first one ever made was this one, was during one of my strange music phases and same time I got into anime AND same time I got into editing. the combination of those 3 events created this monster.

Ignoring all the half done videos I this one should be my most recent fully completed one. was for a convention I was going to and yea...... I not sure improvements have happened ._.

machina21 likes this.
  15. Xophilarus

Xophilarus New Member Queen of Yuri

I'm going to link two "first" videos that were actually made about a year or so apart because I basically "attempted to start" making AMVs two different times. The real first one I did in 2011 when I decided I wanted to make AMVs but I got bored of it after about a month so during that month I made about 5 super shitty ones and then "quit".

And here is the one I made a little over a year later when I decided I wanted to try editing again.

Aaand this is one of my most recent edits

BTW, I think this threads an awesome idea ^^. It's been fun going through it!

Iren S.S. likes this.
  16. I guess this was my first amv... I don't remember making these Kingdom Hearts videos... the earliest one I remember editing other than the Code Lyoko videos was Bleach... but this is on my youtube, so it's technically my first. Get ready for terribleness

I stopped editing for awhile senior year of high school and then started again after seeing a Final Fantasy amv at either NDK 2010 or 2011 I don't remember which one it was. It was the first time I went to the amv contest. Anyway it inspired me to get back into editing again and I made this lovely interlaced filled footage amv:

As for my current work, I'm going to share two actually because the most recent is really an inside Joke between me and my brother because we're idiots, and doesn't really reflect most of the work I do, so I'm going to share my most recent one and the one I did before that one just to give an idea of what my videos look like mostly now.
    Inside joke of stupidity most:

Normal style 2nd most current amv:

17. ailynerie

ailynerie "El Angie"

I didn't start editing with anime, but rather with cartoons, and those videos are long gone due to my hard drive dying on me, but this is my first AMV, also my first video done with Vegas back in 2008.

And this is my latest video done last summer before my laptop died.

18. PieandBeer

PieandBeer the most important meal of the day

Technically my second vid, first never got on the internet and there were a few videos prior that were legit just Naruto gifs synced to MCR songs that i'm not counting >_>;;
    but lol those flashes. this video shows off my angsty hipster music tastes and love of atmospheric vids quite nicely though. if you look at the rest of the channel you'll see that i edited too much FLCL and i will continue doing so because no one can stop me.

Most recent solo vid that is super try hard. I think the main diff is the studio intro. It's funny, I started on Vegas, switched to Premiere right before people actually started watching my vids, and now i'm on Vegas again. It is a strange and confusing program :| I'm having to relearn basic things and my workflow is sufferinnnn /whining

Iren S.S. likes this.
  19. Nate

Nate Nate The Old School Otaku AMV Contest Coordinator

Can't say I've ever had been a fan of or had much luck with posting videos to YT, so org links will just have to do here (though if you want streaming just click on the indirect and my website will do a streaming view)

My first:
    http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=19493
    Since I started editing before the org my first 3 videos are all listed as having come out at the same time, but this one was the first. Subtitles (cuz' I didn't know how to crop yet, and didn't have many DVDs so my source was mostly subtitled VHS) and canned effects and well... not really a fan of this video.

My most recent released:
    http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=198102
    I guess technically my 2 clips for the 25 years of Anime and Music is technically the most recent released video I've had a hand in, but this is the most recent video I've actually made myself that exists online. I've worked on and completed other videos since but just haven't released them yet so yeah...

20. FoxJones

FoxJones the Foxiest

Well if ngsilver shows his, so will I! Prepare you eyeholes for deep penetration of audiovisual abomination!

FoxJones in 2003: http://foxjones.amv.fi/amv/AMV_Rizelmine-MaijaVilkkumaa-Satumaatango.avi
    (That is my real first AMV. Too bad it's a finnish song.... but on the other hand, understanding lyrics won't make that any less horrible. What is notable here is that it's 100% made with vdub :D)

FoxJones in 2017: http://foxjones.amv.fi/amv/AMV_DanMachi-SteveGregan-GuildofDungeoneering.mp4
    (This is what I recently cooked up, as I was checking if my gear works well enough to start doing more serious projects.)

Behold the progress I have made in these... *calculator* ..14 years! Right? Clear improvement! Such progress! Very comedy! Honestly! No? ...Please?